Tuesday, September 09, 2008

Bloomin' Tuesday

Fall is in the air in Colorado and nipping at our heels. We have had a few days in the last week that the high temperature for the day was in the 50's. Yup. The hot days of Summer are over. I'm not entirely bothered by these turn of events. Fall is my favorite time of the year. It felt really good to be able to put on some long pants and a sweater last week. Come mid September I usually start tossing out all of my container plants and winterizing my garden. (kind of sad) By next week most of my potted plants will be a sweet memory, so this morning I went out onto my patio and took some photos of some of my favorites. Geraniums.

Geraniums are a big bang-for-your-buck kind of plant. Their bold, bright colors can illuminate any garden. They are so hardy and don't complain (much) if you ignore them on occasion. I like a plant that can take a little heat. Impatiens are beautiful, but if you forget to water them just once they shrivel up, slump down, play dead and make you think you've committed murder. Geraniums don't play those games. They are the big, bad boys of my garden and they seem to thrive regardless of my occasional inattention. That's one of the reasons I love 'em!


The following photo is proof positive that Summer is over. Frost on the windshield. Autumn is here! Bring on the Indian Corn and the Pumpkins!




To join Bloomin' Tuesday or visit more Bloomin' Tuesday posts, visit to Ms. Green Thumb Jeans!

13 comments:

devri said...

So sad, I loved to look at your beautiful garden.. Untill next year....

Frost, just sent cold chills down my spine, I despise winter!!!!

VINTAGE GIRL AT HEART said...

I am ready for the pumpkins & indian corn myself. I want to plant mums too. With this new climate, I will have to investigate a bit to see what thrives here in the Fall!!

Anne Fannie said...

Hello Suzanne, yea, summer is almost over. Its still around 90-100 degrees here so I cannot wait for the weather to cool down. I love Geraniums too, they are such a hardy plant and so colorful when they bloom. I had to laugh about your description of Impatiens - so true! I love the color of your Geranium. Thanks for sharing! i want Indian Corn too! My pumpkins are ready to be picked and I am so excited!
Love, Ann

Darla said...

Okay, so it's still around 80 degrees in the mornings at 6:30 here and oh so sticky!!!! Your geraniums are very nice!!

Carla said...

Love, Love, LOVE the colors of your Geraniums! Enjoy your fall! (ours is still a off a bit!)

Aiyana said...

I am going to Denver next week, so I'm glad to hear it's getting cool there. It will be such a welcome relief. Your flowers are great!
Aiyana

Jean said...

All the geranium colors are beautiful! We're cooling off na dI'm living it. We're only going to the 40's tonight. Hang onto those blooms as long as you can! Happy Bloomin' Tuesday! Jean

the pleasures of homemaking said...

Fall is my favorite time of year too! Unfortunately in Georgia we don't really start getting nice fall weather until October or so. Loved your Geraniums! They're really a great plant - very underapreciated I think. Mine did so well this year I'm going to add more next year!
Manuela

Laurie and Chris said...

Great pictures for bloomin' tuesday. It is hard to believe that Summer is almost over already.

Sweetie said...

Your geraniums are still beautiful. I also like the spikes. I love impatience also. I know what you mean about watering. My potted plants will also be a memory within a week or two.
Sweetie

PGL said...

The Geraniums still look really good Suzanne. I can't believe you are having to wear pants & sweaters already. It's been so hot here still, it is getting cooler in the evenings which is nice.

Ann said...

Love you geraniums. I tried them last year and they did pretty good but I didn't plant any this year. Maybe next year. It feels like fall here too. At least tonight. Happy Bloomin' Tuesday.

Dee said...

Ahhh Fall- that is the one season that just isn't as interesting in Arizona as it is further north!
However fall does start our winter gardening season so I guess I can find something to love about it! That and glorious sunny days to follow it!
Your geraniums are beautiful- My 86 yr old Mom has 2 pots of them outside her apartment every summer!