Tuesday, July 03, 2018

Avocado Stuffed Taco Salad for Two...

I love Taco Salad, but I haven't made it much since we've been empty nesters. The recipe I used for years makes enough for a crowd, but yesterday I tweaked a recipe I saw on Pinterest and it was perfect for two! (You'll have enough meat mixture left over to put in the freezer to use on another night.) I also like the idea of this recipe having avocado, instead of corn chips. It makes it a little healthier.

Avocado Stuffed Taco Salad
Ingredients:
Start by making this ground beef mixture:
1 pound ground beef
1 tsp. chili powder
1/2 tsp. salt
1/2 tsp. cumin
1/2 tsp. dried oregano
1/4 tsp. garlic powder
1/4 tsp. onion powder
4 ounces tomato sauce

Add the ground beef to a medium sauce pan and cook over medium heat until browned. Drain grease and add all the seasonings and the tomato sauce. Stir to combine and cook for about 3 minutes. Set aside.

Other ingredients needed:
mixed greens
avocados cut in half
tomatoes
cilantro
green onions
shredded cheddar cheese
salad dressing
sour cream (optional)
black beans (optional)

Assembly:
I used a mix of romaine and iceburg lettuce...


Then I added some green onions, tomatoes and cilantro...


I cut an avocado in half, peeled it, and nestled it right in the middle of those greens...


Then I topped those avocados with the yummy ground beef mixture...


A bunch more for good measure...


To that cheddar cheese, more tomatoes, and cilantro were added...


Then a little Catalina Dressing and a dollop of sour cream finished it off! Of course by then the avocado was totally buried with a ton of deliciousness, but you get the idea.


There it is.
Taco Salad for two with enough meat mixture to put in the freezer for another night!