Friday, July 14, 2017

Challenges...


All the grandchildren's quilt tops have been completed, so the last couple of weeks, I've begun to make my kid's quilts. This has proved to be a little more challenging -- especially for the men. As I was discussing with the ladies at the quilt store today, it's hard to find manly-man fabric. There are many options for children and women, but for men... not so much. Here's a sneak peek at some of the fabrics I've chosen for the men in my life.

The fabrics below have a coastal vibe. Lots of manly colors and an "anchors away" kind of feel with ships, anchors, and maps!
  {Hobby Lobby fabrics}


I've found "things that move" and "travel" can be a good themes for a man's lap quilt. I'm making one quilt out of this combination...
  {Theory of Aviation by Windham Fabrics}


And, I'm using one of those same fabrics, and building another one around these fabrics...


A couple of our boys have "desk jobs," so here's an option for them...

{Windham Fabrics Desk Job}


And there's always the "camping/wildlife/woodland" themes...

{Trail Mix & Foxtail Forest by Dear Stella}


{Woodie Winterland line by Stof Fabrics}


Hopefully these quilts will work up to be more masculine. That's the goal anyway.  I'm using a lot of gray and taupe in accent fabrics, so I think that will help. We will see!