Tuesday, October 21, 2014

Little Girl Princess Superhero Capes...


A couple days ago we were facetiming with our daughter and grandchildren, and I remembered that it was little Taitum's birthday this Saturday. Taitum is a southern belle. She's a little slip of a thing with impeccable manners, but as you might be able to guess from the photo below, she also has an adventurous side...


Her mother told us about the birthday party she has planned for Taitum which involves a "superhero" theme. She had planned to make some superhero capes for all the kids as party favors. I'd been promising to make Taitum a little girl superhero cape for eons, so I offered to do the sewing. I had one day to finish all eight capes so they would arrive in time for the festivities.

Yesterday I worked at sweat-shop speed, and by 10:30 last night I put the finishing touches on the last one. This morning I had enough time to take some photos before I shipped them off. I made four Little Girl Princess Superhero Capes and four Little Boy Lightening Bolt Superhero Capes. {I'll show you the little boy capes later this week.}  Here are the princess capes. Taitum told me on the phone the other day that her favorite color is "bink," so I made plenty of "bink" ones for her to choose from!


I know I've said it before, but I absolutely LOVE the glittered fabric rectangles you can buy at Hobby Lobby that I used for the superhero emblem and crown on the capes. They are found next to the felt squares in the craft department. These flexible fabric sheets are easy to cut (no unraveling), and you can sew them onto your projects with a zig-zag or straight stitch. They add so much pizzazzzz to these little kid capes!


I made a little synthetic flower for the neck tabs to cover up the stitching lines where I attached the velcro at the end of the tabs.


I can just imagine my little granddaughter and her girlfriends saving the world with these capes fluttering in the breeze behind them!


If you'd like to make a Little Girl Cape for the superhero in your life, 
just click here for the tutorial and pattern.


Here's a sneak peek at the Little Boy Lightening Bolt Superhero Cape that I made for the little boys invited to Taitum's birthday party. I'll post a tutorial and the pattern for these capes later this week...