Friday, June 26, 2009

Time for a Shower?


I love showers. Bridal or Baby. It doesn't matter. I just love the idea of celebrating the happiest of life's moments with good friends and family. This weekend I'm helping host a bridal shower for my daughter. She's getting married in August and she's home for the weekend, so we are taking advantage of that time and having a partay!

I've been put in charge of the games for the shower, which is right down my alley. Sometimes I hear people groan when they talk about shower games. I'm a bit competitive by nature so generally games of any type elicit a positive reaction from mwaaa, but I understand the negative connotation a little. Often times the same shower games are played ad nauseam, with little thought of change or variety. I'm going to post a few ideas for bridal shower games over the next few days. These games can easily be adapted to baby showers as well. Hopefully, these will add a little diversity to some of your favorites.

First though, I want to let you in on what I believe is the best part of shower games ... the prizes! (Yup, I'm that shallow.) I find it really disappointing when someone works really hard to win a game, only to be tossed a piece of gum as a reward. There's no thought in that. This is what I like to do when I plan the prizes for the shower games. I like to wrap the prizes nicely in bags or paper that reflect the bride's colors. My daughter has chosen black and white for her wedding colors, so I bought wrapping papers and bags in black and white. Then I like the prizes to reflect "What Women Love" -- especially if it is a bridal shower. (If it's a baby shower, then the prizes reflect "What Mothers Love.") For example, women love diamonds, so I might purchase some cute "diamond" (crystal) earrings for that prize. On the outside of the package I will make a little tag with the word "diamonds" on it. That way the women in the group will have a hint as to what is in that package. Another package might say "affection" -- and I'll have Hershey's kisses inside. All the prizes and tags will fall under the catagory of "What Women Love."

Here are some more suggestions of "What Women Love" and some prizes that might be associated with each category:

"Men" - CD of Il Divo
"Get Aways" - small travel case with toothpaste, body fragrances, and lotion
"Memories" - picture frame
"Romance" - favorite chick flick with 'theater' candy
"Day Spa" - small case with manicure/pedicure items
"Chocolate" - you guessed it
"Flowers" - packets of flower seeds
"A Night Out" - gift card to a restaurant
"Perfume" - fragrances
"Soft Glow" - candle

The list could go on and on. Obviously, the sky is the limit with creativity here. What's important is that the prizes look like you've spent some time and thought on them. Making the prizes "special" is one way of letting my guests know that their attendance is appreciated.

In the next few days, I'll share some ideas for shower games...