Thursday, September 30, 2010

Printing on Fabric...

I've been inspired by those who have posted tutorials for printing on fabric. In August Gail at "My rePurposed Life" created just such a tutorial. It seems that each tutorial that is published is a little different, so I'm here to show you how I accomplished the feat this week! Printed fabric is a fabulous way to add a special touch to your home. All you need is a piece of cardstock paper, some light-colored fabric and spray adhesive. 
Begin by ironing your fabric flat and laying it down on a flat surface. Spray your cardstock with the adhesive, and gently lay it onto the fabric -- adhesive side down. Press the cardstock onto the fabric, then trim your fabric edges to the exact size of the cardstock.

I went to the "The Graphics Fairy" for this Pumpkin image. Karen has hundreds of beautiful images that you can download free of charge. Download your chosen image to your computer.

Then bring up a new Word document and insert the saved image into your Word document. Below is an image from my computer screen. It shows the dimensions that I enlarged the image to so it would nicely fit on my 8.5x11 inch piece of paper.(Height 5.8"; Width 9.7")
To print onto your fabric put your cardstock/fabric into your printer -- fabric side down (for inkjet printers).  Make sure you set the 'Print Quality' to "best." Then print the image onto your cardstock/fabric.When it emerges from the printer it will look like the photo below. Gorgeous, eh?
Warning: There are many tutorials that tell you to tape your fabric onto the cardstock. For me, this method didn't work well at all. With this method my fabric was too loose to print nicely. Below is an example of the differences between the taping method and the adhesive method. The fabric in the top of the photo was taped to the cardstock. The fabric shifted as it went through the printer and printed unevenly onto the fabric (note right side of fabric). The fabric on the bottom was attached to the cardstock with spray adhesive. You can see how the outside margins of the image are straight...
Let the ink on your fabric dry for several hours, then peel off the cardstock from the fabric.
(Note: This method of transferring a print directly onto a piece of fabric is NOT washable. I used it on a seasonal pillow top that I'll display for one or two months out of the year. Understand that there are no little ones in my home, so the need to wash this item is greatly diminished. ;o) If you want to print onto fabric that will need to be washed, you'll want to use iron-on transfer sheets to transfer your image onto fabric. I'll post about that method within the next couple of weeks!)

I used my printed fabric as a middle panel in a very simple seasonal pillow...
For those interested, below are the dimensions of the unfinished panel pieces. I used a 1/2" seam allowance on all my seams for this pillow...
I can't even begin to tell you how much I love this method of transfering an image to fabric. It's so inexpensive and easy! 
This particular image makes for a fabulous, earthy, autumn pillow.
 I have another couple of images up my sleeve that I'll be using this next week.
I'm aware this will come as a big shock, but the images I have in mind won't be used for pillows. I know. I know. Pick yourself up off the floor.
A girl has to diversify every now and then.

Linked to:




Visit thecsiproject.com
 



















Brag Monday @ The Graphics Fairy
SNS @ Funky Junk Interiors
Catch-as-Catch-Can @ My rePurposed Life
Show & Share Day @ Just a Girl
Friday Fun Finds @ kojo designs
Porch Party @ First a Dream
Frugalicious Friday @ Finding Fabulous
Frugal Friday @ The Shabby Nest
Best DIY Projects of September @ Beneath My Heart
Hookin' Up with HOH @ House of Hepworths
Transformation Thursdays @ The Shabby Chic Cottage
Show Off Your Stuff Party @ Fireflies and Jellybeans
Get Your Craft On Thursday @ Life as Lori
A Crafty Soiree @ Yesterday on Tuesday

35 comments:

Angela Muniz said...

Muito lindo, vou tentar fazer assim como tu ensinou.
Faz tempo que quero fazer, mas fico sem coragem.
Vou arriscar.

gail myrepurposedlife.net said...

great tute Suzanne! I love ALL of you pillows. :) I sure wish I could sew, well I CAN sew, I just don't like to sew.
hey, thanks for the shoutout! I saw someone pop over in my feedjit.
have a great day!
gail

Julie Harward said...

That is very cool...love it on the pillow! I think you must be the queen of pillow making! ;D

Renee said...

This is brilliant! I was so excited yesterday when I did my first freezer paper stencil, but this is SO MUCH BETTER!!! A question though, you just used the normal ink in your printer? I just want to make sure before I start.

kisa said...

this is really cool. I've been wanting to do something like this but didn't know how to do it! did it run through your printer easily?

Sourkraut said...

Thanks for all the helpful tips! I've been slowly acquiring the necessary materials for this using 50% off coupons all week and can't wait to get started. Your pillow turned out perfectly and I like the way you sewed the image panel into the pillow. Looks very professional!

Angie @ The Country Chic Cottage said...

Love it!! :)

Suzanne said...

Renee - Yes, you use your regular printer cartridges. No need to change a thing -- other than setting the printer to "best" under printing quality.

Kisa - The cardstock/fabric threaded through the printer without a hitch -- easy as pie! ;o)

Sandy said...

This is such a great tutorial, thank you so much for sharing it. I can't wait to try it to make a pillow!

Okie Chic said...

I love it!! All the colors against the linen perfect.

SueMurph said...

Thank you, thank you! I print my tags on printable fabric from Joann's and this is a perfect and cheaper alternative! Love it.

Lisa @ Fern Creek Cottage said...

Your pillow is so stinkin' adorable!! I really appreciate the thorough tutorial! You are always so generous to share your gifts with other bloggers. :)

Lisalulu said...

MAN THIS IS GREAT, yep and we are totally on the same wave length, glad you showed HOW to use the graphic fairy~

Tina said...

Your new pillow turned out as fabulously as always Suzanne:) I LOVE it!! Hope you have a fabulous weekend ~ Tina xx

Annie of Blue Gables said...

What was it I read somewhere that you can make your quilt labels this way and afterward you paint something over it, was it a Modge Podge product? This made it permanent. Now I have to look this up. Where did I store that idea?. . . anyone know what I am referring to?
~a

Annie of Blue Gables said...

Found it. It is called Jacquard Colorless Extender #100

http://sandraleichner.com/wordpress/2009/06/26/a-new-discovery/

see the link. After the extender dries, she heat set it with an iron and didn't submerge in water for a day or two. Genius.
I LOVE blogs and the internet. What did we do without it back in the day?
~a

Tales From My Empty Nest said...

Your pillow is beautiful and so festive for this time of year. Thanks for posting the information on making it. I would love to give it a try. Love & blessings from NC!

Denise said...

Oh my gosh! I am in love with your pillow!!! Thanks so much for sharing the details.

I hope you don't mind. I linked your post to my PORCH AND GARDEN PARTY at firstadream.blogspot.com.

Cristie said...

Great tutorial! I love the pillow. I have a print on that picture that I've had for 35 years!

Sweet Bee Cottage said...

Love this project! You are uber talented!

Karen- The Graphics Fairy said...

Gorgeous pillow!! Your seams are flawless! I keep saying I'm going to try this method, I'm hoping to find some time tomorrow to try this with a project idea I have. Thanks for the great tutorial and for mentioning my blog in your post!

Tracy Suzanne said...

Hi Suzanne. You're pillow is so pretty and so professional looking, very expensive looking. Great job.

Love your name...That's my middle name too.

Hugs...Tracy :)

Deb said...

Beautiful creations that you have here.

The Answer Is Chocolate said...

Came over from Brag Monday at TGF. Thanks for the tutorial...I have been wanting to try this. Your pillow is stunning! Love it. I think I must follow you :)

The Prudent Homemaker said...

It looks lovely!

ewenique said...

Your pillow is gorgeous! and I like your other projects in your sidebar!

Feathers and Flight said...

Your Pillow is Wonderful!! Simply Beautiful!
Thank You for the Tutorial as well!
Hugs
Jill

Karen- The Graphics Fairy said...

Thank you so much for linking this up to Brag Monday!

PetraB said...

I love your pillow and thank you for the tutorial.

Cindy Adkins said...

Your pillow is fabulous! And I made a tag using the same image--hope you'll come over and see it! We match!
I am in the midst of needing to make a huge quilt square and did not know how to attach the photos as tape does not work for me...THANK YOU so much!
The quilt is a project for people who are shut-ins and I really wanted to make something for them.
Be Blessed,
Cindy
XO

Lynn said...

Love this pillow!

Katie's Nesting Spot said...

How pretty, I love seeing great ways to incorporate all the goodies to be found at The Graphics Fairy! Thanks for sharing with us at A Crafty Soiree! Please join us next time too!

Jen B said...

Great looking pillow :-) Love the vintage looking pumpkin art, goes so well with the fabric you chose!

Nike@ChooseToThrive said...

Beautiful, simple and clean. Love everything about how this turned out. Thanks for sharing!

suzanne-allen said...

Your pumpkin pillow was also on my favorites list, nice job! I'll bet you have lots more superb ideas for next week's pillow challenge.