Friday, October 01, 2010

Celebrating today...

My husband and I are celebrating our 33rd wedding anniversary today, so I thought it might be appropriate if I told you one of our special stories. The first words I ever spoke to the man who became my husband were "I looo...." Hmmm. Wait a minute. I'm getting ahead of myself. I should start at the beginning...
 (engagement photos, 1977)
In the Fall of 1974 I was a freshman attending college in California. (Yes, I am that old.) That semester I was enrolled in a sociology class. The second week of class our professor gave us a rather unusual assignment. We were asked to walk up to a total stranger, tell the person "I love you" and record their response. I went back to my dorm room a little frustrated. I didn't want to fulfill this assignment and embarrass myself. After talking it over with my roommate, I decided to call a stranger on the phone rather than approach them directly. That way I could still fulfill the assignment and record a response, but I wouldn't have to worry about the person recognizing me several weeks down the road. I picked up the dorm directory and started scanning down a page. I randomly chose a name and made the call. A young man answered the phone, and I asked if I could speak to "M.S." The young man said, "one minute," and went to get him. The next thing I heard was another "hello." With as much boldness as I could muster I said, "I love you!" There was silence on the other end of the line. Lots. Of. Silence. I said it again. This time with more feeling. "I love you!" More silence and then this response, "Well, what do you want me to do about it?" Because I was trying to fulfill an assignment I said, "Respond!" He then asked, "Who is this?" Embarrassed by my remarks I hung up the phone. A couple more phone calls were made before I was able to get a recordable response, and the experience was soon forgotten.
Several months later I met a young man, named "M." We began to get to know one another and soon we began seeing each other regularly. Several weeks after meeting "M" I was with him and his roommate, and they began to tell me about the crazy girls enrolled at our college. They began to speak about one girl in particular, a stranger, who had called "M" at the beginning of the year claiming love and devotion and issuing the statement "I love you!" Something clicked and I said, "I know what that was about. She probably had the same class I had..." Then I made the connection that I had never made previously between the name that I had called at the beginning of the school year and the young man who was standing before me. I realized at that time that it was "M" that I had called. "M" and his roommate didn't believe me when I told them the story, so I had to take them back to my dorm room and have my roommate verify my side of the story without her knowing why.
That's why I can say...
The first words I ever said to the man who became my husband were
"I Love You."
And I still do.

P.S. Just to put your mind at ease, "M" has become much more responsive to my declarations of love since that first time back in '74. ;o)

37 comments:

dubb and dawni said...

Congrats!
That's Awesome may you have many more years together!

Tina said...

Suzanne, what a fabulous and oh so gorgeous story!! It is after 11pm here and I was just off to bed when i saw your post, I am so happy I stopped to read it, what an absolutely lovely way to end the day! Wishing you both a wonderful anniversary!! Hugs my friend ~ Txx

Linda (PA_shutterbug) said...

What a lovely story! I enjoyed looking at your engagement pictures too. Congratulations on 33 years of marriage!

Mia said...

Happy Anniversary!!!

Marla @ Always Nesting said...

What an amazing story!! I love this love post, so sweet.

Julie said...

Thanks so much for sharing your story AND for posting the pictures. Happy Anniversary!

Jennifer said...

Happy Anniversary!! what a fun story.... thanks for sharing with us! :)
jen@eighteen25

Jan said...

Happy anniversary - and what a great story~! Here's wishes for another zillion happy years together. xoxo

Nedra said...

What a great story. Love must be the answer because you've made it 33 years. Happy Anniversary!

Rachel said...

Oh my goodness, what a SWEET story! I love the pictures too. Congratulations on 33 years. :)

Gwen @ Gwenny Penny said...

Such a fantastic story, Suzanne! Enjoy your anniversary!

Dana said...

Happy Anniversary. Love your story!

Lisa said...

Happy Anniversary!

....... said...

What a great story! Happy Anniversary!

Becky said...

That's amazing! And funny. :) Happy Anniversary!

Meg said...

Oh How Sweet!!! Congrats to the two of you Love Birds and enjoy the next 33! Blessings Meg

Angie said...

Congratulations and Happy Anniversary! I hope this year, and the years to come are filled with more blessings than you could imagine! God bless!

Chris said...

Such a fabulous beginning. Thanks for sharing! Happy Anniversary. We celebrated ours yesterday. Fall is such a great time of year to get married.

Amber said...

That's a riot! What a great story and beginning! =D When I was in high school, and before I dated my husband (he was my Young Life leader - a Christian ministry in my high school) I worked at a restaurant. His sister came in to eat and when she was leaving asked me if I knew him. I told her yes and she said she was his sister. For some reason, the words "I'm going to marry your brother, but don't tell him, okay?" flew out of my mouth before I could even filter it! I had never even thought about marriage (I was only 17!) And here we are, 16 years later (and 11 years of marriage).

Happy Anniversary!
Amber

Maddie said...

What a cute story! Also, I would have never in a million years thought you were in college in 74! You look amazing.

P.S.
Love your blog! Been a reader for a bit now, but it's my first time commenting :)

Shell said...

Happy Anniversary! Wow that's a great story & just goes to show you guys were meant to be.

Mary-ham said...

I love that story. What a classic. I love the pictures. You are so pretty and M is ADORABLE!!!!!!!! Still is...

Connie said...

I'll bet your kids think that is a hoot how you guys met. It is definitely one to tell your grandchildren.

I would like to thank you for stopping by and leaving comments on my blog occasionally, they really mean a lot to me. I don't remember ever stopping by your blog before but I am glad I did.

Happy Anniversary to you and your sweetheart. My anniversary is on the 20th, it will be 37 years.

Lynn said...

What a great story! Congratulations!

Amy said...

Happy Anniversary! Congratulations. :)

gail myrepurposedlife.net said...

how sweet! Happy Anniversary! I love it when love lasts forever. :)
gail

Annie of Blue Gables said...

Oh, that is so cute!! What an assignment. I'd love to hear what the recordable responses were as well as "M's". Hilarious and very sweet. We just celebrated 36 this June. It is pretty sweet.
Oh and you two look like such YOUNG little things in those pictures. So sweet.
~a

Jen said...

What a fun story! Happy Happy Anniversary to you two love birds! Thanks for your sweet words on my blog! Big Smiles to you - hope your weekend is wonderful!

Sweet Bee Cottage said...

That is one of the best meet stories I've ever heard! Happy Anniversary!

Muddy Boot Dreams said...

You know as "how they met" stories go that one is amazing. Fancy that....dating the guy you told you loved.

Ha.

Jen @ Muddy Boot Dreams

Jean said...

Congratulations on your anniversary! What a wonderful story! Love it! Jean

Melissa said...

What an amazing story!!

The Tote Trove said...

Thanks for sharing your lovely story. It just goes to show that everything happens for a reason!

Tins and Treasures said...

Yes, it was definately meant to be!

We must be the same age, because I started college the same time as you. Take care ~Natalie

Tara @ Tara Being Tara said...

Your engagement pictures are as beautiful now as they were 30 years ago!

Jenni said...

I think you look so much like your mom in that last picture! Love to you both!

Life With the Crazies said...

This is one of the best love stories I've heard! Congratulations and happy anniversary!