Tuesday, September 28, 2010

"Girls Night Out" Halloween Pillow...

It's a known fact that girls require a night out with friends every now and then. Getting all dolled up in the latest fashions and going out on the town offers a nice diversion from the hum-drum of every-day life -- especially when you've been bending over a bubbling cauldron all day. That's when one deserves to kick up her heels, snatch the broom out of the closet, and hit the treetops with your best girls. "Girls Night Out" is my physical manifestation, in pillow form, of just such an evening!
Meet (from left to right) Agatha, Rhiannon, and Zefira ("Zeffie" for short). In spite of their many differences, they are the best of friends...
::: Agatha :::
Agatha keeps the girls in formation line with military-like precision. Although no one has designated her as such, she is the leader of the pack and everyone knows it. Her long-johns and sturdy cape are evidence of her practical nature. Don't judge. It's cold at night...
::: Rhiannon :::
She's the baby in the group. Rhiannon is spontaneous, spunky and filled with mischief. Her sense of style reflects her saucy attitude...
::: Zeffie :::
Zeffie is my personal favorite. She's a practical gal with a touch pizazz! I love her "sensible" shoes -- covered in orange leopard skin -- and her matching bedazzled bag.
I created "Girls Night Out" in early September hoping to share it on my guest post on Eighteen25's Spooktacular Series. By the time I was finished with it I knew it was far too complicated to post with a tutorial, so "Baxter the Bat" was designed instead. I created "Girls Night Out" by layering fabrics over one another and appliqueing each item onto the top of the pillow. It was like dressing someone -- first the leggings, then the dress, then the capes, and finally the accessories and shoes, including the broomsticks! One cannot forget the broomsticks -- they are the ultimate accessory for these witchy gals. Twenty-five different pieces of fabric were used to complete the top of the pillow. The pattern for this pillow isn't going to be shared. It's my original work. It literally took me hours and hours to draw, cut it out and piece it together, so I'm keeping this one to myself -- the pattern and the pillow! ;o)
Here's wishing that you can enjoy a night out with your girlfriends soon. And here's hoping they behave themselves and don't end up acting a tad bit witchy --  like Agatha, Rhiannon and Zefira!

Linked to:
Motivated Monday @ Be Colorful
SNS @ Funky Junk Interiors
Frugal Friday @ The Shabby Nest
Show Off Your Stuff Party @ Fireflies and Jellybeans
Transformation Thursday @ The Shabby Chic Cottage 
Hookin' Up with HOH @ House of Hepworths
A Crafty Soiree @ Yesterday on Tuesday





Photobucket

33 comments:

Julie said...

You never cease to amaze. Really! What a fabulous pillow. Wish those three lived at my house. :)

Krystal said...

That is completely adorable, I love it! I'm going to feature this on my blog this weekend if you want to check it out. (probably friday)
sassysanctuary.blogspot.com

Mary on Lake Pulaski said...

Love your pillow creation Suzanne! I'm sure it will be enjoyed for years and years!

Nedra said...

Really cute Halloween pillow Suzanne! It's going to be a big seller for sure.

rosie/the fabric shopper said...

Wow! It's amazing! I so love applique work. I'm so impressed!

Jennifer said...

that is adorable!! as far as i'm concerned you are still the queen of pillows!! love it. :)

jen@eighteen25

Brittney said...

SO cute!! Do you have a pattern for the applique? I would love to make one of my own with all my scraps of halloween fabric lying around! SO fun!! Thanks for sharing it with us!!

Suzanne said...

Brittney,
This pattern isn't going to be shared. It literally took me hours and hours to draw it, cut it out and piece it together, so I'm keeping this one to myself. ;o)

Lisa M. said...

That has got to be THE cutest pillow I have EVER seen. Bravo! And good for you for keeping it to yourself :-)

Linda (PA_shutterbug) said...

I like the pillow and LOVE your descriptions of Agatha, Rhiannon and Zeffie.

Tara @ Tara Being Tara said...

Suzanne, this is simply charming! Thanks for sharing... even if you won't sell us a pattern! :-)

Chris said...

The details and story to go along are amazing. What fun!

Mia said...

You know I love this pillow! But the story was just perfect.

Mandy said...

The pillow is so much fun, and the story adds to the fun! You have incredible talent!

Amy said...

I love it! All your effort shows. The girls look amazing. :) bravo!

Julie Harward said...

What a darling pillow! So sew cute! ;D

Julie and Jill said...

This is amazing! I love it. For selfish reasons, I wish you'd sell the pattern. But I understand your wanting to keep it to yourself. Thanks for sharing it - the highlight of my blog day!

Melissa said...

Tremendous whimsical fun.

Jillian said...

So cute! I love the leopard print!

Stephanie Rose said...

saw this @ Fireflies and Jellybeans - I have to admit, I'm not always into themed crafts - but this caught my eye - I LOVE IT!! you did a wonderful job!!!

malia said...

this is so so so fun! i am hoping you'll link it up to the linky party i co-host "A Crafty Soiree"... every Thursday at www.yesterdayontuesday.com... and I am adding you to my list off friends off my top nav bar. i don't want to miss any of your projects!

MJ said...

I love this! Such detail :)

Chelle & Kristina said...

Very very cute. I would love to know how you made it

Ginger said...

Adorable! Thanks for linking up to The Halloween Scene!

Erin said...

Ok, that is just too darned cute!!

Kristi said...

Oh, this is so great!! Very creative! Here from Saturday Nite Special.

~ The Speckled Dog

Kim said...

It is just marvelous and creative. Wonderful job.

Michelle@Sustainably Chic Designs said...

This is so CUTE! You need to do a tutorial on this for us girls who are only amateur sewers! I would LOVE to make one!

http://sustainablychicdesigns.blogspot.com/

Katie's Nesting Spot said...

Oh goodness, too cute and I love your fun story behind it! Thanks for sharing with us at A Crafty Soiree! Please join us next time and look for your pillow to be featured in this weeks Crafty Soiree!

amieggs said...

I love it!!!
I'm your newest follower =D
oh and the bat pillow on your sidebar is also reeeeally adorable!!!

Mommyof2girlz said...

Cutest pillow ever!! Found you through Katie's Nesting Spot, new follower now, loving your blog :)

Kimberly and Ashley @ Everyday Expressions said...

Absolutely LOVE it!!!! Maybe someday I will get that good at sewing. What talent!

Becolorful said...

Thank you for linking this to Motivated Monday at Becolorful. I wish I could sew> I would so copy it. :) I will have to be happy featuring it tomorrow. Love it.
Pam