Friday, September 24, 2010

Easiest Halloween decoration ever...

I like Halloween, but I'm a "fair-weathered" player when it comes to decorations. I've never been into the spooky, dark aspects of Halloween. They creep me out. I guess that's the whole idea, but I don't like to play that game. With only a few exceptions I decorate with "fall" decorations that last from the first of October until the end of November. However, I do make this exception...
Eyeballs. That's right. Eyeballs. Even these would freak me out if I didn't know the "eyeball" wrapper surrounded chocolate with a caramel center. I can rationalize anything that has to do with chocolate. Chocolate makes even eyeballs more palatable. I digress....let me start at the beginning.

Last year we had a rather terrific windstorm that knocked a hefty branch off our aspen tree. I decided to put those branches to good use. I spray painted those babies black, plopped them in a container (any will do), and whaalaaa! I love the gnarly, knotted branches that an aspen tree creates -- perfect for Halloween...
Unlike chocolate, candy corn has never been a favorite of mine. Other than the shape and colors of that particular candy it's never appealed to me. However, I do think this treat helps create fabulous Halloween decorations...
When my painted branches looked so cute midst candy corn, I thought to myself, "if it works with candy corn, perhaps it will work with eyeballs." And it did...
Yesterday I spray painted the bottom of a little cloche I found at a thrift store some months back and placed the cutest little pumpkin right there in the middle...
These decorations incorporate the "Three "E's" of decorating.

What? You've never heard of the "Three "E's?"
Seriously?

Well, I guess that's because, technically,
they are my "Three E's" of decorating.

They are:
Effective
Economical

and
Edible
 The last "E", of course, carries the most weight. 
(no pun intended)

 Have a great day!
Linked to:
Featured Followers Friday @ My Repurposed Life

15 comments:

Anna said...

Suzanne...that all looks so awesome...I love the eyeballs..lol
You know we never really celebrated halloween here in Australia ..but it has since become the latest and there is alot of hype over it now. Have a wonderful weekend lovely ..I hope it doesnt involve being upto your eyeballs in house work
; ) x

Marla @ Always Nesting said...

Love this post! Love the photos and I'm going to have to "borrow" your painted twig idea. What a great, economical way to decorate and it fits my budget, especially now that my budget went to my house painters!

Julie said...

I too love the painted twig idea. I seem to have those in my yard occasionally. The pumpkin in the cloche is very simple yet striking too. Perfect.

I know I could probably answer this by looking through your posts, but what is your spray paint of choice for this project?

Sandra said...

The three E's made me laugh. I love how the black branches added some height and dimension to your candy jars. I think it made a bigger impact and it's just fun. Plus, those twigs poking out all over might discourage anyone else from sneaking a treat when you're not looking and spoiling your display {and the more for you!}

Suzanne said...

Julie - I used to use Americana by Rustoleum, but it started giving me problems, so now I use the cheap Krylon Indoor/Outdoor spray paint at Walmart! You could use either the flat, satin, or glossy finish...

Nikki@KreativeKnack said...

CUTE! I love these...I'm also very "fair-weathered" player also...and these are too cool! Love the black branches...

Linda@Coastal Charm said...

Lovin your three E's...I'm a candy corn fan too!!

Blessings,
Linda

Karen said...

What an adorable idea! I just love your crafty talent! I might have to try this! Thanks for sharing your talents....

Melissa said...

Effective is right - that is seriously cute - I too love their gnarly knobby branches.

Mia said...

I like the last E ;) Love the pumpkin in the cloche. I am going to get a slightly bigger on for the cake stand. Or maybe three smaller ones (orange, white, some other fall color...)

Amy said...

Those look beautiful. Simple and stunning. And tasty- the best part.

Anne Fannie said...

I love your Halloween decorations...especially the edible chocolate part!

Renee said...

Very nice! I love your 3 E's of Etsy.

Kristy said...

Perfect for a party centerpiece. And less expensive than flowers!

Sweet Bee Cottage said...

I am so borrowing this idea! It's been ever so long since I popped in here and I've missed you and your posts.