Tuesday, March 30, 2010

Pillow Shams...

Tomorrow I am finally going to post photos of Bedroom Redo #2, but first I'm going to show you some pictures of pillow shams I made just today. I will explain in more detail tomorrow, but suffice it to say there is a lot of blue in this room. You may remember, I'm a big fan of blue, but even I have my limits. In an attempt to break up the blue on the all-blue-bedding, I designed and created two pillow shams today.

To say that I have a "muslin" fixation at the moment is probably an understatement. I can't get enough of the stuff. I love the texture of muslin, the imperfect striations in color, and the naturalness of the fibers. It's just a beautiful fabric to work with. I especially love it gathered! Yup, I love it gathered a lot...

Did I mention I love the cost of muslin? I didn't think so. Well, I love the cost as well. Especially when it is regularly priced at $2.99 a yard at Hobby Lobby and with their 40% off coupon that equates to $1.80 a yard. You heard me right. I would guess each sham cost me about $2 to make. Mmmmm. That is such a good feeling.


Linking to:
"Frugalicious Friday" @ Finding Fabulous
"Get Your Craft on Thursday" @ Life as Lori
"Be Inspired" @ Room to Inspire
"Show & Tell" @ Blue Cricket Designs

22 comments:

Anonymous said...

I LOVE(!!!!!) those shams. I love the ruffles and the muslin. I am so going to make some :)

Julie said...

Gorgeous, Suzanne!!! Simple understated gorgeousness! Devine!

Tina said...

Oh I love your new pillow shams Suzanne! You are the most amazing sewer, they look perfect!! You are so inspiring for someone like me who can be a little lazy in how I finish things off! They look gorgeous on your bed - I can't wait for your bedroom re-do reveal! Wishing you a wonderful day ~ Tina x

Cheri said...

Oh my....I'm in LOVE!!!! Gorgeous! I hardly ever get this excited over pillows. lol My sewing machine has been sitting out for weeks waiting on me to sew pillows and I've been waiting for inspiration.........Thanks!

rosie/the fabric shopper said...

They look great! I love muslin, too! So underrated as a go to fabric. Did you use a gathering foot or did you ruffle it all by hand? Yes, I am nosy! LOL

she wears flowers said...

I love those gathers!! I am going to have to work those into a dress somewhere--in a big way, like your pillow!

Suzanne said...

Rosie,
I gathered it myself with two rows of stitching (baste). ;o)

Lisalulu said...

your ideas are so great!!! You have that creativity thing 'go-in-on'... gee my kids hate it when i try to talk slag!

Kathy @ Creative Home Expressions said...

I LOVE those muslin pillows! I'm due to go to Joann's soon and I hope I can find a decent price on it there.

Lei said...

Those are just beautiful!

Miss Obara said...

I, too, love muslin and the price is just right for me!! But, these pillows....are to die for!

Room to Inspire said...

I love your muslin pillows - perfect. And I just love your flowers, they always look so perfect. Thanks for linking up to Be Inspired today.

Chelsea

Mary Beth @ Live. Laugh. Make Something said...

absolutely adorable! great job! I dropped in from Blue Cricket. Hope to see you back at my place soon! until later...

One Cheap B*tch said...

Beautiful! I wish I could make something like this but I'm still such a novice sewer that I wouldn't even dare!

Mama Thompson said...

Those are fantastic!

Maridith said...

Wow that is fabulous!! So beautiful. I love drop cloth material pretty much for the same reason but muslin is much more workable then drop cloth. I might have to get me some!!

Lori said...

WOW! Those shams are so pretty!

Thanks for joining Get Your Craft on Thursday. Please join me next week for another wonderful party!!

Please stop by next week I am having guest over each day and I would love for you to tell them HI!

Jenny @ Kerrfect said...

I love those! How pretty!

Alicia@Thrifty And Chic said...

Those are adorable! I must have one....and that pillow in the front is sooo cute :)

Morgane said...

I have seen ruching in a lot of heirloom sewing, with a lot of lace and other complicated details, losing some of its beauty, but not here!
your pillows are striking in their simplicity, making the ruching the star!
I just love it!
Blue is also my favorite color!

Staci said...

I LOVE those shams! Can I email you to ask a question about the gathering?

Aisyah Helga said...

I love the color scheme of your bedroom! And I love blue,too!I esp love that pillow with the blue and white flowers.