Friday, March 19, 2010

A glimpse into redo #3...

These last couple of months I have been on a redecorating binge. Since Christmas I've redecorated two of our bedrooms, and this week I started on a third. All this sounds rather eccentric, but I am really very frugal when it comes to decorating. Rarely (as in hardly ever) do I buy anything that isn't on sale, and I pass by a lot of items I think are beautiful in order to find the one item I "can't live without." I also have a tendency to DIY when I can, so I usually save money in that way too. As you can tell from that diatribe, I have become rather skilled and adept at explaining my purchases. Just ask my husband.

Anyway, this week I bought new bedding, window coverings and a couple of pieces of furniture for bedroom redo #3. I got everything for an incredible price -- on sale, second hand, or at a "discount."

I started by painting the walls white. White as the driven snow. In fact the paint is called Snow Fall by Behr. Usually I like a little color on my walls, but occasionally white is the way to go. I changed color schemes for this room and went with pinks & greens. These colors -- pink and green -- speak to me and are one of my favorite color combinations. Again I high-tailed it over to Marshall's for the bedding. I'm convinced there is no better place to shop for reasonably priced, nice quality bedding than Marshall's. {You can quote me on that.} They didn't have much of a selection in my hometown, so I checked out the Marshall's in Boulder and found just what I was looking for! Here's a sampling of what I bought.

First, the bedding. Love the whimsical floral print on this comforter. So pretty, feminine and happy!
I also bought a couple of shams and some cute decorator pillows. Here's one of them...

Two white panel sheers for the room were added to the shopping basket before I left. Again, love the whimsical design. Please try to disregard the raging snowstorm going on outside. I am.

Then I went to World Market, which has become a favorite stop for me and found a chair for bedroom #3 that I love! It's called a "slipcover" chair. You buy the chair and slipcover separately. The chair was a reasonable $79 (on sale -- regularly $99) and the slipcover was $20 (on sale -- regularly $30). That's $99 for a beautiful chair! I had a $25 gift certificate that the store gave me when they made a mistake on an order of mine. Don't you love good customer service? Me too! So this chair only cost me $75! This is the chair that can keep on giving because one can always change the slipcover by making a new one to fit a new color scheme. I don't know if I'll use this pillow or create on of my own for the chair... probably, I'll create one of my own that's a little smaller and I'll use this pillow on the bed.

Ok. Now for the really good part. (If you've made it this far you deserve some sort of prize. I suggest you have your husband take you out to dinner.) Here we go... I am so excited I can hardly formulate a sentence. I knew I needed a piece of furniture for the room that guests could place their essentials on -- a book, keys, purse, etc. (As I've told you before we have seven grown children and they all live in a different state, so four of our five bedrooms are now "guest" bedrooms.) I wanted to find a piece of inexpensive furniture (a small bedside table or small desk) that I could refinish for that job. I searched all the flea markets in town, but the furniture was too expensive -- around $50. I wanted something for a buck fifty, you know? So, I drove to a neighboring town and went to Goodwill. I walked in the door, and it was love at first sight...

More to come...