Friday, March 19, 2010

A glimpse into redo #3...

These last couple of months I have been on a redecorating binge. Since Christmas I've redecorated two of our bedrooms, and this week I started on a third. All this sounds rather eccentric, but I am really very frugal when it comes to decorating. Rarely (as in hardly ever) do I buy anything that isn't on sale, and I pass by a lot of items I think are beautiful in order to find the one item I "can't live without." I also have a tendency to DIY when I can, so I usually save money in that way too. As you can tell from that diatribe, I have become rather skilled and adept at explaining my purchases. Just ask my husband.

Anyway, this week I bought new bedding, window coverings and a couple of pieces of furniture for bedroom redo #3. I got everything for an incredible price -- on sale, second hand, or at a "discount."

I started by painting the walls white. White as the driven snow. In fact the paint is called Snow Fall by Behr. Usually I like a little color on my walls, but occasionally white is the way to go. I changed color schemes for this room and went with pinks & greens. These colors -- pink and green -- speak to me and are one of my favorite color combinations. Again I high-tailed it over to Marshall's for the bedding. I'm convinced there is no better place to shop for reasonably priced, nice quality bedding than Marshall's. {You can quote me on that.} They didn't have much of a selection in my hometown, so I checked out the Marshall's in Boulder and found just what I was looking for! Here's a sampling of what I bought.

First, the bedding. Love the whimsical floral print on this comforter. So pretty, feminine and happy!
I also bought a couple of shams and some cute decorator pillows. Here's one of them...

Two white panel sheers for the room were added to the shopping basket before I left. Again, love the whimsical design. Please try to disregard the raging snowstorm going on outside. I am.

Then I went to World Market, which has become a favorite stop for me and found a chair for bedroom #3 that I love! It's called a "slipcover" chair. You buy the chair and slipcover separately. The chair was a reasonable $79 (on sale -- regularly $99) and the slipcover was $20 (on sale -- regularly $30). That's $99 for a beautiful chair! I had a $25 gift certificate that the store gave me when they made a mistake on an order of mine. Don't you love good customer service? Me too! So this chair only cost me $75! This is the chair that can keep on giving because one can always change the slipcover by making a new one to fit a new color scheme. I don't know if I'll use this pillow or create on of my own for the chair... probably, I'll create one of my own that's a little smaller and I'll use this pillow on the bed.

Ok. Now for the really good part. (If you've made it this far you deserve some sort of prize. I suggest you have your husband take you out to dinner.) Here we go... I am so excited I can hardly formulate a sentence. I knew I needed a piece of furniture for the room that guests could place their essentials on -- a book, keys, purse, etc. (As I've told you before we have seven grown children and they all live in a different state, so four of our five bedrooms are now "guest" bedrooms.) I wanted to find a piece of inexpensive furniture (a small bedside table or small desk) that I could refinish for that job. I searched all the flea markets in town, but the furniture was too expensive -- around $50. I wanted something for a buck fifty, you know? So, I drove to a neighboring town and went to Goodwill. I walked in the door, and it was love at first sight...

More to come...


13 comments:

salmagundi said...

Oh, yes, I could fall in love with that piece of furniture, too. I'm looking forward to seeing what you do with it. Have a great weekend. It is snowing like crazy here in southern Colorado!! Sally

Becky said...

The bedding is so pretty, bright bold collor on white. The find at Goodwill is the deal of the day. I love Goodwill. So I'm trying to guess what color you are going to paint it. Waiting for the finished product!

Quilt Hollow said...

You always spot the best stuff...it seems when I step in Goodwill it isn't to my liking. Looking forward to your refinish.

MiaKatia said...

You have such great taste. I love how you pull it all together. I don't remember room 2. 1 was the blue and white "beach" room and 3 is this green and pink. What was two?

Suzanne said...

I haven't posted #2 yet, because I haven't finished the draperies cause my sewing machine is in the shop. When I get those done I will post photos of #2. However, the pillows I made went in #2! ;o)

Anne Fannie said...

I love the pillows!
I posted about your cupcake totes today for Pink Saturday :)
~Ann

Tina said...

Suzanne, I love your bedding and your colour combination (also my favourite of pink & green!). Love your floaty white curtains, and to be honest, I wouldn't even mind the snow storm outside:) BUT.... my jaw hit the floor when I saw the picture of your new dresser!!! It is stunning and I am so envious;) What an absolutely gorgeous find - and at good will!!! I can't wait to hear and see more! Hope you have a wonderful weekend ~ Tina xx

Chari at Happy To Design said...

Hi Suzanne...

How are you doing, my friend? Thought I would just drop in to say hello and see what you've been up to! Hehe...it looks like you've been a busy little bee and having fun, fun, FUN!!! There is nothing that I love more...gets my blood pumping...than a great room redo! My friend, I am loving all that you have done in this beautiful guest room! Oooh...that bedding is gorgeous!!! You know, pink and green is one of my favorite color combinations too...the colors that I have used in my step-daughter's/guest room. In fact, the header photo that I have on my blog right now is from that room. Anyway, I love your bedding and that ruffled pillow is fabulous!!! Girl, you got such a great deal on that pretty slipper chair...WOW!!! I love that you can change out the slip cover whenever you want...that's awesome!!! Your new curtains...sooo beautiful and delicate looking! I love them!

Now...as for your antique...chippy desk...it stole my heart the minute I seen it! Girlfriend, what a GRAND treasure find! Ohhh...it has great detailing on it...it's fabulous!!! I'm so happy for you!!! I know that I would have certainly picked that beautiful piece up...if I had seen it! Ohhh...I bet this room looks sooo beautiful! I can't wait to see more!!! I'm so glad that you've been having so much fun decorating, my friend! Enjoy!!!

Are you guys getting snow over your way? It has been snowing here since yesterday...on and off! Not a whole lot is sticking to the ground! Girl, I'm soooo ready for Spring! Hehe! You take care and have a wonderful weekend, Darlin'!

Warmest wishes,
Chari @Happy To Design
(fellow Colorado blogger...hehe!)

Frugal Home Designs said...

I love everything you picked out I bet it is going to be beautiful, can't wait to see the transformation. Outside your window looks just like mine, aahh springtime in Colorado.

Tins and Treasures said...

I especially like the bedspread that you have chosen for your room. I can't wait to see it all together!

Happy Spring ~Natalie

G-Zell said...

gorgeous! I am in love with your chair , man I want it!

she wears flowers said...

I can't wait to see it! I LOVE the pinks and greens--especially the green you have chosen.

Nikki@kreativeknack.com said...

I just have to say, that I love your taste in fabrics, and designs...its so soft! I can't wait to see more of your projects!