Sunday, March 21, 2010

Feather your nest...

It's springtime and birds aren't the only ones building nests at our house. One of my favorite Easter activities is making these adorable nests. They are fabulous on many levels. First, they're inexpensive to make because they take only three ingredients -- shredded wheat, chocolate chips, and candy eggs. Second, they are adorable! And, most important, they are delicious...

To make eight three inch nests use:
3 rectangles (about 1 1/2 cup crushed) of shredded wheat, crushed (Original Brand)
1 - 11.5 ounce bag of milk chocolate chips, melted
candy eggs

Purchase Post Shredded Wheat Original brand -- The wheat biscuits are packaged in paper within the box, 3 to a package. Use one of those packages for each recipe. (Note: You can substitute any fiber-type cereal for the Shredded Wheat.)

Melt chocolate chips in a double boiler or in microwave until all the chips are melted and mixture is smooth. Pour the melted chocolate over the shredded wheat and mix well. Let it stand a few minutes to cool. The mixture is difficult to work with because it is very sticky. You might want to coat your hands with cooking spray or margarine so the chocolate mixture doesn't stick to your hands. Make 8 round mounds and place them on some wax paper. Then using the back of a spoon, make an indentation in the middle of the mound and build your nest. Fill with eggs and let nest cool completely. It takes about 1 1/2 hours for the nests to firm up. Waaaalaaaaa! What could be better -- fiber & chocolate! If you're giving them away, place them in a cellophane sack and tie with a ribbon!

Bon Appetit!



Linking to:
Trash to Treasure Tuesday @ Reinvented
Strut Your Stuff Easter & Spring @ Somewhat Simple
Get Your Craft On @ Today's Creative Blog
Toot Your Horn Tuesday @ Silly Little Sparrow
Be Inspired Link Party @ Room to Inspire

17 comments:

Anne Fannie said...

Oh Suzanne I love these! They are so cute!! Thanks for sharing this wonderful recipe! I am going to try it this year!
~Ann

Denise Marie said...

Oh Suzanne, TFS!!

I want to do this for my Spring table. I just got some birdie silverware and had googled some pictures of these nests but didn't have a resource yet for making them. I found you off of Anne Fannie. Here is my post:

http://denisemarie-bloomin.blogspot.com/2010/03/happy-1st-of-march.html

Amy@TheLemonCottage said...

GREAT idea!
My son will love these.
Thanks for sharing.
~Amy

Tina said...

Suzanne, thank you so much for sharing how to make these!! I have seen them but never knew what the ingredients were. Yours look so gorgeous and your tutorial was fabulous:) I am really looking forward to making these with my girls next weekend!! Hope you have a wonderful day ~ Tina x

Quilt Hollow said...

Oh...makes me wish I had an outing to go to that required my bringing a treat! I'll keep these in mind!

Jennifer said...

Awww - my mother used to make something like this for Easter. Seeing it on your blog made me miss her. Sigh. Your nests are so beautiful!

P.S. How funny is it that the word verification is "misin" and I was missing Mom.

becky said...

These edible nests are ADORABLE! (& they look yummy!) also love your quote about creativity!

Carolynn said...

How fun & yummy looking. My mouth is literally watering!

One Cheap B*tch said...

Holy moly! I can't believe that's chocolate. What a really fabulous idea!

niartist said...

All I can say is YUMMMMMMMMMY! Thank you for sharing! I'm about 1/2 way finished with my bathroom remodel, and I hope you can stop by and see the progress. :) Take care! Artie

Lanie Ree said...

mmmmm, those look so good...

Marilyn Holeman said...

Hi Suzanne, I just came over from Reinvented. This looks too cute! I'll be trying it out soon. Thanks for sharing!

Room to Inspire said...

I am so glad you linked this post up to Be Inspired today! I was just checking it out yesterday and thinking what a great treat this would be for my kiddos!

Chelsea

Jax Avery said...

YUM! cant wait to try them!

jubilee said...

Oh. My. I am so trying these. Thanks for the tip!

{All Thingz Related} said...

Oh my goodness...what a super CUTE idea!
~Bridgette

Suzy said...

Hi! Me and the kids made these last week thanks to you! Thanks for posting! It was fun and easy!! I've made them in the past with dried chow mein noodles too. My hubby thinks we should try it with the no-bake oatmeal cookies.