Wednesday, August 10, 2011

Handcrafted Wood Buttons . . .

Yesterday I was in the mood to shop, so I went to one of my favorite stores -- Crate and Barrel. I love checking out stores this time of year, because they have begun to decorate for fall, which is definitely one of my favorite seasons. I love traditional fall colors: pumpkin orange, chocolate brown, eggplant purple, mossy green and yummy butterscotch. I wasn't disappointed.

Generally I make my own decorative pillows, but occasionally I come upon a store-bought version that I can't imagine living without. That's exactly what happened. These two pillows {Tisha and Thea} moved me...


I knew they would look fabulous on my leather couches, so they were purchased, however, before I left the store I checked out the placemats. Some of you know how much I love making placemat pillows. (Here's another example.) This time I was looking for a plain fabric that could be paired with the Thea pillow, and I found these two examples -- Grasscloth Butterscotch and Grasscloth Chili...


I loved the texture of these two fabrics, so I decided to use them and try my hand at something I've wanted to do for a long time now -- handcrafted wooden buttons.

Last fall "we" {I use that word rather loosely} cut down a peach tree that had seen better days, and for some time I've wanted to see if I could make some buttons out of one of the smaller branches. I love the look of rustic wooden buttons. The branch I chose looked like this before I started...


Not very promising, but when I sawed off the end it gave me hope...


I put the branch in a vise and used a hand jig-saw to cut 1/4" rounds. Then I sprayed them with a clear matte sealer, which brought out the rich color of the wood. Two little holes were drilled in the middle of them and whaaallllaaaa -- I had myself some rustic handcrafted wooden buttons. Love 'em...


I trimmed the edges off the placemats (they were just a single piece of fabric) and zig-zagged them. I then sewed three straight lines on the butterscotch fabric. A trick to sewing straight lines on fabric is to mark your fabric with straight pins, like this...


Then take some tape and run it next to the pins. Take out the pins and use the tape as a guide to sew the straight line...


I then attached my wooden buttons to the fabric and sewed the two fabrics together to make the pillow...




I kinda love it.  It's earthy and fallish and quirky and it fits perfectly on our leather couch...


Had I bought nine wooden buttons in the store, it would have cost about $10. Instead they were free! The finished pillow cost $14 -- $6 for each placemat and $2 for batting. Not bad for a fun fall pillow!


Linked to:
Show & Tell Saturday @ Be Different Act Normal
Saturday Nite Special @ Funky Junk Interiors
Friday Favs @ Naptime Crafters
Show & Share @ Just a Girl
Strut Your Stuff @ Somewhat Simple
Show Off Your Stuff Party @ Fireflies and Jellybeans
Hookin' Up with House of Hepworths
20 Below @ Christina's Adventures
Show Me What You Got Party @ Not Just a Housewife
Anything Related @ All Things Related
Made with Love @ Sew Chatty