Monday, December 06, 2010

Repurposing a Holiday Placemat...

to a pillow!

 
The idea of repurposing a placemat to form a pillow has been around for awhile, but I think it's worth repeating. It's one of the most quick, economical ways to make a holiday pillow. Anyone can make this pillow -- no sewing machine is required. And, best of all, they are beautiful!

Here are the specifics:
Placemat: $3.99 @ Target
Stuffing: Poly-Fil $1.80 on sale @ Hobby Lobby
Needle & matching thread (sewing machine optional)

Start by purchasing a placemat, some poly-fil "stuffing", and putting aside 15 minutes -- or less. I purchased this holiday placemat at Target. Make sure your placemat is lined on the back. In other words there needs to be two pieces of fabric sewn together -- the front piece of the placemat and a back lining.



All you have to do is use your seam ripper or a sharp pair of scissors and open a hole in the bottom seam of the placemat. Stuff with a poly-fil stuffing that you can buy at Hobby Lobby, WalMart or a fabric store and sew the seam back up either on your sewing machine or by hand using a blind stitch. The whole process takes the better part of 10 minutes. Truly.



I gave placemat pillows away last Christmas to friends at the beginning of the Christmas season. They are so economical and easy to make and they create a fun splash of holiday cheer in any room!



Linked to:
Neighborhood & Teacher Gifts Linky Party @ Poppies at Play
Strut Your Stuff @ Saturday Mornings
DIY Holiday Projects Party @ DIY Show Off
Show & Tell @ Blue Cricket Design
Linky Party @ My Uncommon Slice of Suburbia
Boardwalk Bragfest @ Bobbypin's Boardwalk
Nifty Thrifty  Tuesday @ Coastal Charm
DIY Project Parade @ The DIY Show Off
Motivate me Monday @ Keeping it Simple
Craftastic Monday @ Sew Can Do

22 comments:

Michelle @ Sweet Something Design said...

That's my kind of revamp!:) Great job!

gail myrepurposedlife.net said...

This is too easy for Suzanne! :)

I love the idea though, great for someone like me who detests sewing!

great idea, thanks for sharing.
gail

CJ said...

What a lovely, easy repurposing! Thanks!

Julie Harward said...

It is a good idea, I just made 2 of them and they were too easy! ;D

Lynn said...

What a great idea!

Cheri said...

I love doing this - thanks for the reminder to look for holiday placemats!

Cheri said...

New follower, btw (but long time visitor, not sure what's up with that. lol)

Lisalulu said...

wow, and I need some pillows.. ok I'm off to Walmart, THANKS for the great tutorial!

Melissa said...

Quick and easy. I like the easy simplicity of the place mats that you picked.

Dana said...

Clever, clever, very clever! Thanks for the quick lesson.

Hawthorn said...

what a brilliant idea, really worth remembering!

Shirley said...

I hadn't heard this idea! Thanks for sharing it!

Thoughtfully blended hearts said...

I never paid any attention to how these were made and it's great...I just may try one!!! Great tut!!!

Tina said...

Suzanne, that is such a fabulous idea!! I would never have thought to do that. Your new cushion is gorgeous :) Happy Wednesday ~ Tina xx

Jan @ bobbypins boardwalk said...

This is a wonderful idea! Thanks so much for sharing on the Boardwalk Bragfest!

Chris said...

Bee-you-ti-ful and so simple. Now to find the perfect placemat!

Princess Danell said...

OK...I knew I liked your blog when I saw your cleverness (pillows in particular), but anyone who quotes N. A. Maxwell is tops with me! Thanks for the plaque club. I really enjoy them.

Renee said...

What a great idea!!! You are so smart Suzanne.

the cape on the corner said...

looks great-that is the perfect placemat to turn into a pillow, for sure!

The Paisley Plum said...

That is a fabulous idea! I will definitely be trying this in the near future!!!

Andy Porter said...

Great idea to use this for a gift! I would totally love to get one! Thanks for the tutorial too!

Andy

Angela said...

I loved this idea last year and made several for VT, and this year loved the placemats at Target, so I bought several more for teachers and friends. Thanks for sharing!!