Thursday, August 25, 2011

Change is a Good !

It's important for us women to have a little extra change in our pockets. It makes us feel carefree and adds a spring to our step. Evidently it's the same for three year olds of our gender. Apparently it is inherent in our nature to want some spending money. A month ago when I was tending two of my granddaughters who had just acquired a newborn brother, I was informed by three year old Berkley that she not only needed a little spending money, but she was in need of a coin purse as well. You see her six year old sister Avery is currently rolling in the dough with a fat little wallet, due in large part to a steady supply of loose teeth and a generous tooth fairy. I asked Berkley if she would like me to make a coin purse for her, since we couldn't find one in the stores small enough for her little hands. She bobbed her head up and down, and asked if I could please fill the purse up with some loose change while I was at it. It's a little hard to disappoint a face like this...


Today I went to work creating a pint-sized coin purse for Berkley. I finished it in no time and although it's not perfect, I think she will like it just fine -- especially if I fill it up...


I bought these adorable crocheted flowers at this Etsy shop a few months ago. I acquired six in different shades of purple and pink and am going to use them for a variety of projects.


I used some soft flannel as the lining on the inside of the coin purse...


...and a zipper to close the top! 


I'm pretty sure if I'd sent Berk a baggie filled with pennies, she would have been just as content, but hopefully she'll like having a coin purse all her own!

8 comments:

Chris said...

Aww Suzanne, such a sweet grandma you are! I loved reading your post, it made me smile. :) Don't you just LOVE doing little sewing projects for the grands?! I am in the process of making 6 of the Owl pillows you made. They are for our 6 grandaughters as a little vacation gift. We are ALL (our 10 kids, their spouses and the grands)going to the beach for a week in about 10 days. I figured the little girls and I could lay out on the floor, read books,snuggle together and giggle while they enjoy the comfort of their pillow...thanks to you for the GREAT idea! :)
BTW, you have inspired me once again. I think I will make these coin purses when we get back as a little stocking stuffer for Christmas...the girls LOVE playing with purses. :) (and maybe "Pa" will have somne loose change to fill them with! :))

Linda@Coastal Charm said...

What a cutie pie you have here and I can see why you whipped up that darling little coin purse so fast for her.

Blessings,
Linda

chinamommy said...

that is just ADORABLE! My daughter LOVES wallets and coin purses. One of her favorite gifts ever was a $1 wallet...go figure! I love the little crochet flower and matching interior :)
~cm

Mary on Lake Pulaski said...

Berkley is adorable and Grandma made her a smashing coin purse!

Jillian said...

I love, love, love this coin purse. The flower is awesome! I'm sure she will be thrilled use that as her coin purse. Lucky girl!

Hama Roska said...

That's really cute and I love that I don't have to make the flower. She'll think of a loving woman when she looks at her coin purse.

Indie said...

Aww, that is adorable!! My little girls also love playing with coins and putting them in their little piggy banks. The coin purse is such a cute idea!

Mia said...

Miss B will absolutely love this! What a sweet little gift.