Wednesday, October 14, 2009

Mouthwatering Magic

I've decided to hang up another shingle. I believe I've found something better than sewing. Years ago my daughter encouraged me to open a bakery. That was back when I cooked on a regular basis. Judging from how often my oven gets turned on now, that thought probably wouldn't cross her mind. We even had a name for our bakery... "Sweet Mamas." Great name, don't you think? Well, if ever I should open that bakery I have found my signature item.

Do you remember last week when I told you I made a sourdough starter? I mentioned in the next few weeks I would show you a few of the items I made with that starter. Well, strap on your seat belts ladies because the next few photos might have you lunging for a bite of your computer screen. Seriously. I have baked a lot of breads in my time, but I honestly believe this is the best. The sourdough goodness of this bread is absolutely delicious. The crunchy exterior is heavenly. I'm not kidding when I say it rivals San Francisco's marvelous sourdough delicacies. FYI: Here's where you can find this "Classic Sourdough Bread" recipe and the recipe and instructions I used to make my sourdough starter. (I divided this recipe into four smallish rounds.)

Now, are you strapped in good and tight? I wouldn't want to be responsible for the ruination of your computer screen. Without further ado...

Maybe I'd better stick to sewing...
It's calorie free.

10 comments:

GRAMEE said...

oh..ok you have me at the pictures. I am not even there for the smell or taste.

I am going to do a starter today!

I love to bake, I used to do more when my kids were young.
Now I live near my grandkids I seem to bake more than I did when we lived in Utah.

Maryam said...

I can witness to y'all...it is scrumptious. The crust was perfectly browned with a dusting of flour. I ate my slice last night with butter and honey on it. Mmmmmmmm.
Well, better go get me another slice right now. The kids are off to school and the baby is sleeping. ME TIME!

Pat said...

Have you ever seen the book Artisan Bread in 5 Minutes a Day? Check it out if you get a chance. You make one batch of dough that lasts for up to 2 weeks in the fridge -- it only takes about 10 minutes to put it together. Whenever you want to bake a loaf, you pull off a chunk of dough. I was unsure at first, but it really works. As the dough ages in the fridge, it gets a bit of that sour tang to it -- not close to a true sourdough, but still ok. I love the technique because I can make the dough at the beginning of the week, then actually bake a loaf of bread for dinner on a weekday night when I come home from work. I have a link to the website on my blog if you want to check it out.

Major problem, though: I might as well just glue those loaves of hot, fresh bread to my hips. The ultimate temptation!

Muddy Boot Dreams said...

Suzanne, I agree, you had me at the photo. Go girl, go! How soon can you send out loaves to us? LOL.

That is some stunning bread.

I have a batch of the 5 minute buttermilk bread in my fridge today also. We have been enjoying it all week, kind of makes me realize now, why my waistband doesn't fit.

And the Artisan Bread really is wonderful, but I bet it is no match for yours.....oh I am drooling.

Jen

Kristi said...

Yum! You can send some of that jam my way.

paintedprimrose said...

no fair! I am eating gluten free. Oh, I so miss bread! Your's, sigh, your's is like butter! sigh...

Nancy said...

Super-Yum!

Jan said...

Oh, my! Looks so yummy -- sigh. I want some!

Julie said...

I also made my first bread yesterday...got some pics posted. It was disappoing to me flavor wise...but I am gonna look at your recipe as well and keep going...I have two cups of starter that is smelling much more powerful!!!

I am concerned about my hips as well!!!

Your loaves are so beautiful. I need to learn how to make the clean cuts in the dough!

Renee said...

Oh my goodness.

If you open up a bakery, I want to come work for you.