Tuesday, July 16, 2013

Animal Magnet{ism}...


The other day I was browsing Pinterest and came upon this adorable pin...

I loved the idea and knew I wanted to make a version of those cute animal magnets. I chose to make mine a little different though -- more like the sculptured animal wall art {fauxidermy} we've seen in many stores this year. I headed over to Hobby Lobby to pick up some thin wood pieces...


...then to the Dollar Store for some $1 rubber animals. I chose an elephant, rhino and antelope -- that was about the extent of the choices unless you wanted a triceratops or brontosaurus. I will admit I felt a teensy bit uncomfortable as I took off their heads. I used a hack saw, but realized after that I could have used scissors. The rubber was very pliable and it isn't a solid piece of rubber -- it's just a thin layer. 


I gave each piece, including the wooden pieces, a hit of white primer and super glued the heads of the animals onto the wooden pieces. Then, I spray painted them with Krylon Brushed Metallic Satin Champagne Nouveau. {I think they would be really cute painted bright colors too.} When the paint dried I super glued a magnet onto the back of each piece. These are darling used on the fridge to tack things up or they'd be cute on a magnetic message board.

Animal Magnet{ism} at it's finest...




Because I'm such a frugal {not really a word I would use to describe myself} person I made one more...


I'm pretty sure it will be the next fad...


Have a happy day!

Linked to:
Friday Favs @ Nap Time Crafter
"The Inspiration Board: Creative Party" @ Homework
Show Me What Ya Got @ Not Just a Housewife
Handmade Tuesday @ Ladybug Blessings


9 comments:

Sandy said...

Suzanne, these are so cute... especially the last one!! :)

Elise@growcreative said...

These are cool! But ya, I think I would feel weird taking a hack saw to toy animals... my son would through a fit! haha!

Mia said...

The last one is my favorite!!! Tee hee hee ;-)

Malmbergs said...

I like yours much better than the one on Pinterest. Too cute!

Jan said...

These are so cute, Suzanne! And thank you for showing the last one and starting my day with a chuckle!

Julie said...

You are one clever gal!

Julie said...

oh my gosh, Suzanne! You are a hoot!

Hoyby Crafts said...

These are awesome!!! I am definitely going to try these for myself! Stopping by from Hoyby Crafts.

Annie Reed said...

Hi, I came across your blog looking for a lemon recipe. I fell in love with your taxidermy skill!!! I love the last one, you probably will start a trend!
Cute from one colorado gal to another!