Tuesday, July 16, 2013

Animal Magnet{ism}...


The other day I was browsing Pinterest and came upon this adorable pin...

I loved the idea and knew I wanted to make a version of those cute animal magnets. I chose to make mine a little different though -- more like the sculptured animal wall art {fauxidermy} we've seen in many stores this year. I headed over to Hobby Lobby to pick up some thin wood pieces...


...then to the Dollar Store for some $1 rubber animals. I chose an elephant, rhino and antelope -- that was about the extent of the choices unless you wanted a triceratops or brontosaurus. I will admit I felt a teensy bit uncomfortable as I took off their heads. I used a hack saw, but realized after that I could have used scissors. The rubber was very pliable and it isn't a solid piece of rubber -- it's just a thin layer. 


I gave each piece, including the wooden pieces, a hit of white primer and super glued the heads of the animals onto the wooden pieces. Then, I spray painted them with Krylon Brushed Metallic Satin Champagne Nouveau. {I think they would be really cute painted bright colors too.} When the paint dried I super glued a magnet onto the back of each piece. These are darling used on the fridge to tack things up or they'd be cute on a magnetic message board.

Animal Magnet{ism} at it's finest...




Because I'm such a frugal {not really a word I would use to describe myself} person I made one more...


I'm pretty sure it will be the next fad...


Have a happy day!