Monday, July 08, 2013

Burp Cloths for Baby and a fabulous tip...


I mentioned last week that I was sewing non-stop for our 13th grandchild due next month. Receiving blankets were the first things off the line. Burp cloths were the next item I made...


These burp cloths are created from ready-made cloth diapers. It makes sense to make burpies from this soft and absorbent fabric.


You simply add a strip of fabric down the center of the diaper, and add ric-rac to the sides of the fabric. Love the ric-rac. I used flannel fabric this time for the center strips of fabric, but any cotton fabric will do.


I posted a tutorial entitled "Baby Burpies {the easy way}" that has step-by-step instruction on how to make these simple burpies.

Now -- here's a great tip: Often when I am making items like this, I will buy a Flannel Receiving Blanket Kit like this one from Target...

Do these fabrics look familiar? Those are some that I used for the burpies. These little receiving blankets are only 30"x30", which in my opinion is too skimpy for a receiving blanket, but I use them as fabric for other projects. I buy a package of four coordinating fabrics {over 3 yards of fabric} for $12, which is a great price! Then I cut them up and use them for projects like these baby burpies, bibs and tag blankets...


The receiving blankets are a light-weight cotton flannel, so they work perfectly when combined with the cloth diapers to make a burp cloth. I love how the fabrics coordinate to make a cute set. That's my tip for the day! Don't forget to check out the burp cloth tutorial.

Linked to:
Made by You Monday @ Skip to my Lou
Create & Inspire @ Handmade Cuddles