Wednesday, April 06, 2011

New Tote Pattern...

This week has been a busy one. My youngest daughter and her husband are graduating from college this weekend, and then they will be moving here and hanging out with us for most of the summer. So happy! In the fall they are off to law school back east, so I've been feathering the nest and doing a little spring cleaning.

I thought I'd show you the other tote I made for myself from the 241 Pattern at Noodlehead. This time I enlarged the pattern a little. I have a ton of things I carry with me, so I need a roomy purse. I took the pattern piece entitle "center panel" and added 1/2 inch along the fold line. That enlarged the middle panel by a total of 1 inch. Since there are two of those panels on the purse that added two inches to the width of the tote. Perfect for me and all my stuff...


I adore this purse. It's the only one I've had in a long time that actually stays put on my shoulder. Love that about it...


I chose a somewhat neutral fabric combination (brown and a natural linen look) -- of course there is a pop of turquoise and lime! Yum...


In addition to the two pockets on the outside of the purse, I added two pockets to the center panels of the lining (see above). I just tucked those right into the seams.


Have a great day!

15 comments:

mommatojoa said...

You have the best sense of colors! It's beautiful. I would so use one of these as a diaper bag!

Julie said...

Gorgeous. I love the colors. I'll have to look at this pattern, unless you decide to start selling them :) then I could save some time and get one from you

Stephanie said...

I love the fabric you chose!!!

Kristin said...

It's beautiful! I love the combination of fabrics you chose to work with ... lovely job and your pictures are great too!!

Eleni said...

Hi!! I just wanted to tell you that I'm your newest follower:-) Your blog has such great content, I'm so glad I've found you. I really love the combination of the colors and patterns on your tote bag. I'd love to make one myself, but I'm a new sewer and not sure that I'll be able!
Have a nice day:-)
Eleni

Rachael @ The Little Birdie said...

I have been seeing this bag everywhere, and LOVE it! I just purchased the pattern today myself. :) However, yours looks so much more sturdy than the one in her photos (which seems kind of floppy), did you do anything different? Floppy bags are just not quite as use-able as a sturdier bag.

littlebirdiebaby {at} gmail {dot} com

Hands Sew Full said...

That is too cute! I was over at noodlehead looking at her patterns last week too and I loved this one and this week it seems to be popping up everywhere! Guess I gotta make one now! Love your linen look with the bright colours!

Stephanie Mosselman said...

oooh - i am your newest follower. cute stuff! found you on the sassy sanctuary!

Suzanne said...

Ok -- Here's a couple of questions answered...

Mommatojoa - As much as I love this bag it isn't big enough for a diaper bag by a long shot. It's dimensions are about 13.5 inches wide x 12 inches high x 25 inch strap.

Julie - I never sell a bag under $45 -- which is too much to pay for a fabric bag -- short and simple. I'd just make one for about $20. ;o)

Eleni - It's really an easy pattern -- you should try it!

Rachael - I use fusible fleece interfacing on ALL pieces -- lining and other. Having fusible fleece on each piece ensures a sturdy bag!

Mary on Lake Pulaski said...

Your 241 Tote is very cute Suzanne! I just made one too and next time I might enlarge mine like you did. Great to know about you using fusible fleece on everything - I used fusible interfacing on everything.

Rachael @ The Little Birdie said...

Thank you so much Suzanne! I'm still learning all the ins and outs, so I appreciate the help and tips! :)

Debilou ~ Mississippi Mama said...

love the fabric and color combo. Will you be selling these one day?? They look very roomy.

cindy said...

I could pay you $45 to make one or I could spend $30 on fabric, fusible fleece etc,. Then it would all end up in a plastic tote--to be finished/started at a later date. Like so many of my other projects. $45 would be a bargin--and I would have a cute tote.

MN2NM said...

Hi Suzanne - Great 241! Mary (on Lake Pulaski) pointed me in your direction. I really like the modifications you made. I will certainly try enlarging it a little. The fleece gives it a great look, as well. Thanks for sharing your method!

Lara said...

Oh my gosh, I LOVE this! The patterns you chose are fabulous!