Tuesday, April 12, 2011

One more . . .


I can't seem to get enough of this pattern of Anna's found here on her blog "Noodlehead."  This is a version I made last week. Love the gray and pink tones with the muslin on this one...


Yesterday I was waiting in line at the grocery store with the version I made for myself, and a young mother behind me commented on how much she liked my purse. It's so nice to get a compliment on something you made yourself!


I've had many people ask me what I do to make my bags more "sturdy" looking. I do this by using fusible fleece (a thicker iron-on interfacing you buy off the bolt at fabric stores). I use it on almost all the pieces of fabric for the tote except the lining of the pockets. That means I apply it to all the outside and lining panel pieces of the purse. I also apply it to the outside of the pockets. It makes the cost of the purse a bit more, but it's well worth the extra money in my mind. Fusible fleece ensures a sturdy, well-crafted tote.


Once again I added an extra couple of inches to the width of the purse and added two inside pockets into the seams.


This is the most comfortable purse I've had in ages. I love the long, thick strap that stays put and the roomy pockets both inside and out!


Just a reminder ... Mother's Day is fast approaching. Just sayin'.

9 comments:

Jenn said...

I've seen this pattern a lot lately and I really do like it...not many pocketbooks catch my eye as being practical, but this one definitely does. I just have a hang up about cotton purses because I know I would get mine so dirty and yukky in no time. I prefer a fabric that is wipe-able and doesn't attract dirt...unfortunately the lovely cotton prints I would use just don't do that....sigh....thanks for sharing~! Looks lovely and you are an excellent seamstress!

Julie Harward said...

I love this one the best..that is my favorite color...these are so awesome! Come say hi :D

virginiamae said...

Beautiful! It's a pattern I've been wanting to make since it came out a bit ago. Maybe I'll just buy one ;-)

Debilou ~ Mississippi Mama said...

very pretty.

Amy at Ameroonie Designs said...

Absolutely gorgeous, Suzanne! I love the colors you choose- your projects always have such a polished well made look to them. Fabulous!
xoxo,
Amy
p.s. I have started using fusible fleece after a tip from you and LOVE it! Thank you!!!

music notes said...

I love it :)

Gwen @ Gwenny Penny said...

I really like this one, Suzanne. Great colors. I'm grateful for the fusible fleece tip. I'm going to use it when I get around to my 241 bag. Is that linen you used?

Suzanne said...

Gwen -- It's not linen -- just muslin.

Sarah and Chris said...

Hi Suzanne. I just wanted to add a note that using canvas as a middle lining also really increases the sturdiness of a bag. I did it for my diaper bag that I made and it is so solid that it will probably last me all my kids, if I don't feel I need a change in colors before then. After a few washings it becomes pretty pliable but it just has to be washed a few times in advance or it will shrink a lot the first time you wash your bag!