Saturday, December 20, 2008

Inspired...

I'm diving into the unknown! I've been inspired lately by some blogs I've visited -- namely Artsy Crafty Babe and Purl Bee. I have longed for the results of some of their knitting projects. It's been awhile since I've knitted anything -- 34 years to be exact. The last thing I knit was a sweater for my then-current high school boyfriend. Truth be told, I started it for one boyfriend and before I finished it we broke up. By the time I got around to completing the project I had another boyfriend, so I gave it to him. As luck would have it they were the same size. It was a beautiful cable-knit pattern. I learned a valuable lesson when the second boyfriend and I broke up. Never give anything of value to a mere boyfriend. (The simple truth of that statement may be applied in a variety of ways, I am sure.) I should have asked "second boyfriend" to return the sweater to me when he dumped me, but I didn't. I gave up knitting then and there after that unfortunate experience. Since my husband and I have been happily married for 31 years I could probably go ahead and knit him a little something. Before I do that however, I think I'll make a simple scarf out of this delightful green yarn I bought today. I figure I'd better start with something simple, like a scarf, since I can't even remember how to cast on. Thank heavens for internet tutorials. Wish me luck...

7 comments:

devri said...

Good luck, I know you'll be a pro...

Here's wishing you and yours a Merry Christmas..

Julie said...

LOLOL. It may be a little safe to try something for your hubby now!!! LOLOL.

I am just picking up a crochet hook to try making one of those half towels where you crochet a top and a loop to go around your oven handle to hang the towel up. It should be an interesting experiment!!! :)
Good luck with your knitting!
Merry Christmas to you and your family!!!

Tolentreasures said...

How funny, I went to Michaels and bought a learn to knit kit and those round looms yesterday. I too have not knitted since my poor grandmother tried 30 some years ago to teach me. She was successful with crocheting but knitting just escaped me. My aunt recently went into a nursing home and in the cleaning out my cousins sent all of her yarn and cotton to the "crafty one" Now I feel the obligation to do somehting with it and think that I should knit hats and scarves and donate them somewhere. Good Luck, I can't wait to see what you do!

Cathy

Shannon said...

My friend taught me how to knit a hat. Maybe we could learn together when I get there...

Maryam said...

That's fun Suz- the yarn looks really soft and I like the color. You are always keeping yourself busy!
love m

MiaKatia said...

Boyfriend comment= so funny and SO true!

Good luck with the knitting. My little brother knits and loves it. Knitting escapes me though. I prefer to crochet even though I am not very good at it.

Nate's Mom said...

I love that green yarn. What a nice color and the scarf looks great.

I had to lol at the sweater starting for one person and being completed for someone else. I started a baby blanket some time ago...got busy and set it aside. I finished it this summer and gave it to my sister who was expecting. The original intendee turned 3 in Sept. LOL.

Sheri in CA