Monday, July 14, 2008

Bloomin' Tuesday

A few years ago I was talking with my sister, who lives in California, on the phone. We were discussing our gardens and I mentioned that the next day I was going to plant some morning glory seeds. There was a swift intake of breath on the other end of the line, and she indicated that she didn't think that was a good idea because once planted, she assured me, you can never get rid of them! She didn't realize that I had been planting them for several years already. Although morning glory is a considered a noxious weed in California (because they are such prolific reseeders and they never die back), in Colorado the morning glory can be considered a favorite annual! In late Spring/early Summer one can have many "volunteers" sprout up where they grew the year before, but if you have them in the same spot every year, like I do, one considers this a great advantage! For a number of years I've had them in my vegetable garden. I have them climb up poles and fences. They add a beautiful dash of color to the area. I love going out in my garden early in the morning and seeing their bright, shiny faces! Here are some of the blossoms I have this year and a couple of photos from years past.

Go to Ms. Green Thumb Jean's to sign up to participate in Bloomin' Tuesday or to see other Bloomin' Tuesday posts!

18 comments:

Suzy said...

Morning glories are so pretty and delicate...I just wish they would stay open longer than a few hours!

You have a nice selection of colors!

Have a good week.

Anne Fannie said...

Your morning glories are beautiful! I live in So California and I have them growing on my fence and I just love them!
I just love how you have them growing, beautiful pictures!
Love, Ann

Judy said...

Suzanne, you CAN'T be talking about the same morning glory that I spend HOURS pulling out of my yard every year. I've never seen a blossom on ours, which, like Nancy, we consider a noxious weed here. Tell me, really, do you think there are different varieties? Yours are absolutely stunning!

Aiyana said...

I've always loved morning glories, especially the Heavenly Blue variety, but they are banned in Arizona and we can't buy seeds. I see them occasionally in gardens--grown by defiant gardeners. The reason they are banned here is that they can get into cotton fields and literally take over the field, destroying the crop. Yours are beautiful!
Aiyana

Suzanne said...

Judy - I know which variety you are talking about. No, they aren't the same. The ones that you are talking about ARE a weed! I remember! Those have the little, pale flowers on them and grow all over the ground. These have beautiful big blossoms.

Aiyana - Wow! I didn't know they were banned in Arizona. The good thing about them in Colorado is they die back every year -- I imagine if they didn't do that they could easily take over whole fields!

Dawn said...

I have always loved morning glories...they remind me of my childhood home.

Deb said...

Beautiful pictures. I love morning glory & it is so true - once planted they are there forever! We find them all over the garden now :-}.

Sugarplum Cottage said...

Hey my friend, hope your having a wonderful week so far. I love how those mornin' glories are trained up that trellis, love all the colors. Hugs, RoseMarie

Deborah said...

I love morning glories...they certainly aren't a weed in Manitoba!

Dee said...

The Morning Glorys are just lovely! The blues and purples are so pretty together!

Susan said...

I planted some Morning Glory seeds and they all sprouted but then they all died. Maybe I'll have better luck next year.

Jean said...

Suzanne, I love your morning glories! The colors are so vibrant. I have never grown them but may have to give it a try. Jean

VINTAGE GIRL AT HEART said...

These are stunning!!!
And I love your new dwipers!!!!
Once I get mooved I want to order some items from you for Christmas!! I love your work!!

Cole said...

I wish I could have morning glories that wouldn't take over. here in Washington would be as bad as blackberries if blackberries weren't pokey.

Ann said...

I love morning glory too! but mine take over everything if I don't watch them. I've had them grow around a flower pot and plant roots in the dirt of the pot. Yours are lovely! Happy Bloomin' Tuesday!

Deb said...

Suzanne ~ what wonderful colors! We've bought the morning glory mixed seed packets, and all that bloom are the pale white ones! Yours are absolutely beautiful!

The Apron Queen said...

Your morning glories are stunning. You can see some on a mailbox if you follow this link. Also come see my visit to Moody Gardens: http://anapronaday.blogspot.com/search/label/gardening

Renna said...

I just discovered your blog and am looking back over previous entries. I LOVE the way you did your Morning Glories. MG's are my favorite flower. Granted, they do come back for me each year here in northeast Texas, and the repeats never bloom as prolificly (not sure if that's a word!) as newly seeded ones, but I still love them.

I'm going to try mine on a pole next year and try and recreate what you've done with your's!