Monday, July 14, 2008

Bloomin' Tuesday

A few years ago I was talking with my sister, who lives in California, on the phone. We were discussing our gardens and I mentioned that the next day I was going to plant some morning glory seeds. There was a swift intake of breath on the other end of the line, and she indicated that she didn't think that was a good idea because once planted, she assured me, you can never get rid of them! She didn't realize that I had been planting them for several years already. Although morning glory is a considered a noxious weed in California (because they are such prolific reseeders and they never die back), in Colorado the morning glory can be considered a favorite annual! In late Spring/early Summer one can have many "volunteers" sprout up where they grew the year before, but if you have them in the same spot every year, like I do, one considers this a great advantage! For a number of years I've had them in my vegetable garden. I have them climb up poles and fences. They add a beautiful dash of color to the area. I love going out in my garden early in the morning and seeing their bright, shiny faces! Here are some of the blossoms I have this year and a couple of photos from years past.

Go to Ms. Green Thumb Jean's to sign up to participate in Bloomin' Tuesday or to see other Bloomin' Tuesday posts!