Tuesday, July 22, 2014

Bloomin' Tuesday


It's Bloomin' Tuesday today, so I thought I'd share some shots from our garden. Generally, mid July in Colorado is the hottest time of the summer with temps in the 90's and up, which stresses our gardens and lawns. Fortunately, we've had more rain this summer than is typical, so I think our flower gardens and lawns are bearing up better pretty well. This week will be the test though, as it will be in the high 90's all week.

Among other blossoms, my morning glories are beginning to bloom. This variety, "Grandpa Ott", is one of my favorites. It's dark purpley-blue flower is about 3" across, and I love the pink flush at its throat. It's one of the easiest morning glory to grow and it will self sow even in Colorado's cold climate. I can always count on it, but I also planted other varieties this year to add more color. Hopefully they will start blossoming soon...


Our daylilies have past their peak, but they're still showing off...

 
It's been three summers since I planted three hydrangeas, and this year they are boasting big, beautiful blossoms. There's nothing prettier...


My hostas are also lush and beautiful, but their huge leaves have taken a bit of beating with all the rain and hail we've had this summer. They're beginning to flower too...


I love spending time in our garden in the morning. It takes on a park-like atmosphere, and there is a peacefulness in those early morning hours that fills my soul.



Our veggie garden is finally beginning to show life. It's been slow going this year, and I haven't figured out why. First, I thought it was too much rain, then too little water, then too hot, then too cold, then not enough fertilizer -- who knows!?! We've had it all, and it's struggled. Hopefully it will find whatever it needs to produce in the next couple of months!




Three of our grandchildren are visiting us for the next couple of weeks. Last night I noticed that our garden bear had been accessorized. He's never looked better...


Wishing you a Happy Bloomin' Tuesday!