Thursday, October 25, 2012

Genealogy...


For those who read my blog, a less known fact about me is that I love to dabble in family history. I've always had a fascination for those who came before me on our family tree. When my youngest started elementary school I had the time to do research in earnest, and for the last seventeen years I've had some success in that field. It's a wonderful hobby for those who love history. The ancestral line that I have researched the most is my maternal grandfather's line. These ancestors hail from England and Wales. Through my family history research I've linked up with fifth and sixth cousins in England who were also bitten by the genealogy bug. These men have been instrumental in helping me "find" many of my ancestors.
 

A month ago we traveled to the Washington D.C. area. One of the many things we did while on vacation was to go three graveyards. I don't know many people who visit graveyards on vacation, but when you're a family history junkie that's just the way you roll. My husband had some ancestors buried in three different cemeteries in the area where we were staying. I'd never been in cemeteries that were as old as the ones we visited. There were graves from the 1600's. We don't have cemeteries that old in the west, so it was amazing to be able to walk through such beautiful, old places. We ended up finding the memorial of the man we were looking for, John Carr, who was buried in Leesburg, Virginia. John is one of my husband's direct-line ancestors. If you note the dates of his birth and death in the photo below, you'll agree that his middle name should have been "Longevity."

John Carr 
1684 - 1794


We also traveled to another cemetery in Waterford, Virginia and found the burial plot of my husband's fifth great grandfather Aaron Beans...



Most of the headstones in this cemetery are in disrepair and many of the markers have been lost. It's sad to see this kind of neglect, but this cemetery was in the most peaceful setting you could imagine...


For those who have never done genealogical research, it might seem like a strange hobby, but for those of us who do, there is no other pastime that is as compelling or fascinating. If you would like to begin tracing some of your ancestors, here are a couple of resources to get you started...


10 comments:

Kate said...

We, too, enjoy visiting old cemeteries ... there is so much history there and so many stories to be told. I enjoyed your post.

Army Wife Quilter said...

you should get involved with billiongrave.com and take pictures of graves in your area for people like yourself who look for grave markers of ancenters. It is really cool. the app for smart phones will tell you in your area where you can go and so some good. you can also look up your ancestors on the web site. so if you are interested check it out.

Ashley said...

I live outside of DC in Northern Virginia. Isn't Waterford beautiful. We attended a huge festival they have there at the beginning of Oct. I want to buy a house there! Hope you enjoyed your trip out here!

Julie said...

I too have a thing for old cemeteries and you know I definitely love anything having to do with Virginia. :)

carla.evans said...

I love old cemetaries and ancestry. I hope to do some searching on mine when some time frees up.

I thought it was interesting on Mr. Carr's tombstone how they named the sons specifically, the included "and five daughters". Times have changed!

Suzanne said...

Ashley - We drove through the town when it was having that festival!

Carla - It is interesting that the memorial mentioned the boys by name and the girls in a lump sum. I'm grateful especially for one of those 5! That's the line we come through!

Shelley C said...

My husband and I also love old cemeteries. We searched and dpi.d my 6th great grandmoteher in Philadelpia I September while on a business trip. Seeking and finder ancestors is great.

Annie of Blue Gables said...

I have a bunch of CARR members of my family!!!

Nana said...

My husband has been doing is genealogy and I've become so fascinated with it. We've spent some time when we visit our daughter and her family in Pennsylvania, we drive out to York ,and have spent a lot of time in the area visiting cemetaries and small little towns. We even found a man in the town who collects Hammond guns, and coffee grinders. That same Mr. Hammond is my husbands great great grandfather. It's been so fascinating and rewarding all at the same time.
I'm glad you were able to find some of what you were looking for.

the speers said...

I was just reading through your blog and I had to share this! I live in Ashburn, VA--just next door to Leesburg, and I had no idea there was such a cool cemetery so close by! My mom is a huge geneology junkie and she also visits cemeteries while on vacations! That's so cool that you were able to find your ancestors headstones! I think there is something powerful in seeing them!