Wednesday, October 03, 2012

A "thank you" to you!


What inspired me this week? 

I just want to take a minute to thank those who have sent me sweet emails and comments lately. I often don't have time to respond individually to these messages, but please know that I'm appreciative of your kind words. This week I've been dealing with a copyright issue. Someone has been selling products for profit that are replicas of items made from my most popular copyrighted pattern that I gave away freely. She's sold these items at craft markets and on Etsy, and she continues to insist that her "similar" pattern and the application were her ideas. {We have a supernatural connection in mental telepathy if that's the case.} After giving her several opportunities to do the right thing, I brought the matter to the attention of Etsy. Her response was to challenged my faith and accuse me of not acting "Christ-like". No worries -- I didn't respond. I had already decided to let Etsy and other sources determine the outcome before I received that missive, but the whole exchange was disturbing, and it made me wonder whether offering my patterns free of charge is the right thing to do. This morning I had just finished dealing with a number of issues regarding this problem, when I received this tender mercy from a reader requesting my Trick or Treat Bag pattern:

Hello! I was hoping to be able to request the Trick or Treat Bag Pattern that you posted on your blog...I'm very excited to try this out, as I wanted to make some bags that my little boys can keep and use over the years. Thank you so much for sharing your creativity with the world! This looks amazing!
Thank you...

This was one of many emails I've received lately, but as I read it my outlook immediately changed, and I was reminded once again of how good it feels to give freely. This past week I've answered hundreds of emails from readers requesting my free patterns. Often these emails are filled with kind words that lift my spirit and brighten my day. Your emails and the comments help inspire me and help fuel my imagination, and they make me grateful that I am surrounded by people who appreciate my efforts. To all my blogging friends -- thanks for being my inspiration!

14 comments:

Southern Gal said...

I'm sorry you're having to go through this. It has to be hard for you. I'm grateful for your willingness to freely give your lovely patterns to your readers. I've used them so many times to make gifts for friends and family. I hate it for everyone else when one bad apple spoils the barrel. If you do decide to quit offering them, I understand completely. I'm thankful for the patterns you've shared.

kisa said...

you are one of the most Christ-like people I know! you've been so kind to share your patterns and creativity with everyone. people may try to copy and resell your ideas for their own profit, but they'll never be able to replicate the exceptional quality! <3

Suzanne said...

And that, my friends, is one of the many reasons I love my daughter-in-law so much (Kisa).

;o)

Christy said...

What an inspiration you are Suzanne!
There are not enough hours in the day to have to deal with the issues you have had with this person - yet you have while taking the high road and thanking your blog readers! You have much to share, and we are the fortunate ones. You are so positive and creative and generous! Whatever you need to do - we'll understand. As for people who steal from others, their day will come!

Mia said...

Well I know you have a huge heart and a wonderfully generous spirit. And I'm incredibly grateful for you!

Sharon said...

I requested your trick or treat bag pattern -- received it via email and am absolutely delighted! I made five bags over the weekend and I am sure my little grandkids will love them! Your are incredibly creative and so generous to share with your blog readers. What is wrong with someone who won't give credit where credit is due. Sorry you have been on the receiving end of this mean spirited person. Keep the faith, as we all know you will. Thanks again!!

Melanie@Crafty Cupboard said...

One of the reasons I love checking your blog is because of how amazing your projects are, in detail, quality, and creativity. I'm so sorry someone has made the creative experience a little sour (or a lot!). And Thank You for being so willing to share!

Kate said...

Just be yourself and if that means offering free patterns then do so. There are always people who will try to pass off others' designs as their own and then get all fired up if you call them on it...perhaps it's a guilty conscience. It is regrettable that you have to experience this hassle. Whatever you decide remember that many of us (hopefully the majority) appreciate your 'gifts' and link them back to you.

Kathleen O'Grady said...

I am fairly new to your blog and am shocked at some of the terrible things that have happened to you from having a blog and a huge creative heart. Some people have no soul and will stop at nothing to get what they want. I am very sorry that this has happened to you. I think your Halloween bags are just adorable (among all your other creations) and wish that I could create something like that but I would never do what some people will do.
I hope that you continue with your blog and awesome talent that you have and keep sharing with your fans. I was so thrilled to read many of your posts that I went thru a lot of your archives loving every bit.
Thanks for your thoughtfulness to share your talent.

Darla said...

It's so easy to have a knee jerk reaction to things like this, the evil one loves that. Count it all joy and let the Lord be your vindicator. You will be greatly blessed for passing this test.

MeenyMoe said...

You know, Mother Teresa reminded us in her famous quote: “People are often unreasonable, irrational, and self-centered. Forgive them anyway.
If you are kind, people may accuse you of selfish, ulterior motives. Be kind anyway.
If you are successful, you will win some unfaithful friends and some genuine enemies. Succeed anyway.
If you are honest and sincere people may deceive you. Be honest and sincere anyway.
What you spend years creating, others could destroy overnight. Create anyway.
If you find serenity and happiness, some may be jealous. Be happy anyway.
The good you do today, will often be forgotten. Do good anyway.
Give the best you have, and it will never be enough. Give your best anyway.
In the final analysis, it is between you and God. It was never between you and them anyway.” – from Mother Teresa’s wall

This so fits this situation. I'm glad to hear you don't let it get to you. You are giving freely of yourself and nothing can ever make that a bad thing. :) - Karen

Nana said...

I have used your patterns to make special presents for my grandchildren. I'm so thankful for your caring heart that freely gives. Sometimes we are surprised by the dishonesty of others who feel they are in the right. And they are usually ones who attack YOUR character.
I only know you through your blog, but am impressed always by your talent and desire to share. You have always been kind.
Hopefully you will know that you have many who care and support you.
Thank you again for sharing your God given talent and may you be buoyed up by your friends and family.

annemarie said...

I am so sorry you had to experience this situation - I know other bloggers have had the same problem. A smile comes to my face when I see an email announcing a new post from Just Another Hangup. You bring such joy, not only to me, but to all your readers. Please do not let this discourage you.

Chris said...

So sorry to hear of your recent "trial". You know I have heard the statement "Imitation is the highest form of admiration" So look at it this way , this gal must really admire you and your creative ideas and work to copy them. :) Keep on being the generous kind person you are, it blesses others and ultimately bless you!