Monday, September 17, 2012

Home is where the Heart is...


A couple of months ago I committed to adding punches of color to our informal dining area. I started by repainting the ceiling and walls. My son-in-law helped me install some shelves {seen in the photo below} that are situated above a little side table next to the dining table. I filled these shelves with multicolored whatnots that I bought at local stores and flea markets, which brightened the whole room!


This weekend I got around to decorating another wall in that room. My husband and I love maps. Recently I've been inspired by heart-filled maps found on Etsy that indicate where a family lives, but I had another purpose in mind as I shopped around for a map that would fit in this recently color-filled room. I found the perfect map on Amazon...


This beautiful map with its brightly colored states was just what I was looking for to compliment the colors on our new shelves. I was shocked to find that the total cost for this beautiful 22"x34" map was under $10,  including shipping! {Seriously!!!} I had it framed in a simple black frame with a white beveled mat. I wanted the focal point to be the map itself, not the frame...


This is where the fun part began. Our seven children and their families are spread across the U.S. from one coast to the other. I wish they were all closer, but that just isn't the case right now. I thought it would be fun to have a reminder on our wall of their presence in our lives even though we are far-flung. That's where the map came in. I ordered a vinyl wall sticker {very reasonably priced} from Vinyl Wall Expressions and placed it above the framed map.


I also ordered some teeny little red hearts -- about 1/3" tall -- from Vinyl Wall Expressions that I placed on the glass to indicate where the different members of our family reside...



The quote "Home is where the heart is..." rings true in my life. However, home, for me, is not so much a physical dwelling as it is a place where family gathers. I'm truly "home" when I'm surrounded by family -- no matter where that might be. This wall expresses that thought, and it makes me smile whenever I walk by. It also adds that spice of color that I hoped to incorporate in that room.




Remember to sign up for the Bento Box and Toppers Give Away.The contest ends tonight at midnight and tomorrow morning a winner will be announced. Go here to enter!

Also -- for those anticipating the tutorial for Lionus the Rag-Tag Blanket -- I hope to finish the tutorial today and publish it on Wednesday. My readers will have 24 hours to request it free of charge before I place the pattern in my Etsy shop! ;o) 


8 comments:

C-ingspots said...

Looks great! We love maps too.

Julie said...

Wow. That map is perfect. I love the punches of color. I'd love to see the whole room some time. :)

VickiT said...

Great idea for the map.

Thank you for reminding me to enter for the awesome boxes. It's been crazy around here and I meant to come back to enter and forgot.

I can't wait for Lionus. That's such an adorable blanket.

Jillian said...

That would make one great road trip! I love the map! The colors are perfect for that room!

Staci said...

Fantastic! Love the map idea. Would be perfect for my inlaws...

I have that same little yellow cow creamer. My boys gave it to me for Christmas last year.

nives said...

nice

Jenni said...

Suzanne, I love it! What a great idea! Hope all is well with you and yours. Love you dearly!

Mia said...

That would make a cool road trip! That is a really cool map. We might need to steal that idea. Hooray for family.