Thursday, September 20, 2012

Ric Rac Recieving Blanket

A year and a half ago I published my Ric Rac Receiving Blanket Tutorial. At that time I featured baby boy fabrics, but within the next couple of months we're going to have a baby girl join the ranks of our family. She will bring the total grandchildren count up to 12 -- 6 boys and 6 girls!


I've enjoyed making some receiving blankets with a more feminine feel. I've loved the birdie craze -- these little trees and birdies against the pale pink background of this soft flannel fabric are so cute...

 Riley Blake "Pink Summer Song" Flannel

I used the same technique that I used in my tutorial to tuck the ric rac between the outside seams and tied this receiving blanket with a double strand of embroidery floss to keep the front and back fabrics from separating.

I attached a brown and pink polka-dot fabric to the back of the blanket. I love the way it plays off the flannel on the front in this fun way...

Here's another version with pink elephants and white ric rac. These girly elephants pose on a soft cotton knit fabric...


These are two of five receiving blankets I'll be making in the next couple of days. It feels so good to be able to relax at my sewing machine with a few quick projects!