Wednesday, December 14, 2011

Stenciled Walls ::: Yum!


Raindrops on roses, whiskers on kittens, and stenciled walls are a few of my favorite things. At the moment "stenciled walls" tops the list. A couple of weeks ago I offered you a sneak peak of the wall I was stenciling in my bedroom.


I am so excited to introduce you to a fabulous company that specializes in gorgeous stencils -- Cutting Edge Stencils. They have a broad selection of luscious stencils from geometrics to florals to murals to damasks to nursery patterns and more. The stencil I used on my walls is called "Brocade No. 1", and it is definitely #1 in my book! Here is the wall shortly after I finished stenciling...


I decided to use this beautiful chunky damask stencil on a feature wall in my bedroom. The day after I stenciled the wall my contractor came rushing into the room as he readied himself to continue work on the remodeling in the master bath. He didn't know I had stenciled the wall the day before. He took one look at the wall, stopped in his tracks, and his jaw dropped! The wall has the same effect on me. I absolutely love it...


What's more -- my husband loves it. 
That makes me feel really good.

When I decided to stencil my wall, I had a particular look in mind. I wanted the design to be soft and calming, so I chose a paint color just a shade lighter than the wall color for the stencil. Then I chose the stencil...


I love the chunkiness of this particular damask pattern. It's traditional and sophisticated, with a trendy flair. I chose to have the design float -- like bubbles on the wall -- rather than have it spaced out evenly. That's the whimsical in me.


As much as I love the current trend of vinyl stickers {I have a couple on the walls in my home}, they are very one dimensional in nature. With a stencil you can create more of a two dimension feature by making the paint lighter in some areas and darker in others. I love the imperfect nature of a stencil. I like the soft edges and textured feel of the paint on the wall. That's something you just can't get with a vinyl wall decal.


If you've never stenciled and are intimidated by the process, don't be. It's easy to do and just takes a little practice. The best tip I can give is -- don't use too much paint on your roller or sponge! Dip your foam roller, stencil brush or sponge in the paint and then dab the paint off on a paper towel or paper plate until it is almost dry. With just a little paint on your applicator you're ready to stencil! Because I have textured walls, I used a small piece of a sponge instead of a foam roller or stencil brush to stencil the pattern onto my wall. I find that by using a sponge I can control the amount of paint I use more easily. You can always add more paint if you want it darker. Cutting Edge Stencil has this video to illustrate the process...


We've made a lot of wonderful improvements in our Master bed and bath the last couple of months, but my stenciled wall is one of my favorite changes! I would definitely recommend the stencils at Cutting Edge Stencil if you are looking for a quality product and an economical way to make an beautiful change.



Linked to:
 Visit thecsiproject.com

12 comments:

Elaine said...

Love it. Looks fantastic. Great job!

Annie-Savor This Moment said...

I love the soft tone-on-tone look of it. Gorgeous.

Lisa @ Fern Creek Cottage said...

Love, love, love!!! Your walls (and room) are gorgeous! I've been thinking of doing a damask stencil in my bathroom and this really makes me want to do it!

CountryBelle said...

Love the tone on tone colors! Great job on your redos! I look forward to seeing what else you have up your sleeves ;)

gail said...

Suzanne! your stenciled walls are the perfect touch to your room! I love how subtle it is, and how you spaced the design!
LOVE it!
great job!
gail

Chris said...

It is beautiful Suzanne! I can see why your painter's jaw dropped open. Really does look so pretty! Thanks for sharing. :)

Julie said...

Beautiful and classy! I wish you'd come do this to my bedroom wall.

Renee said...

So nice!!!

Jillian said...

WOW! I love everything about this bedroom! The stencil looks great! I also love love love the headboard!

scrapfancy said...

How beautiful. So elegant and love it. You go girl.

KATHY said...

Your walls look gorgeous!I love your headboard too!

Kathy

The Gohmans said...

I love this design! Subtle and very nice!