Wednesday, December 07, 2011

"Snowball" Votive Candle Holders...



I finished my Christmas decorating yesterday. It was a miracle, and I even had a little time to create...

Last month I was brainstorming how I could make some candle holders that resembled snowballs. I had a picture in my mind for a tablescape, but didn't know how to put it all together. At first I thought about using styrofoam balls with the bottom cut flat and an area cut out for a tea light, but styrofoam has a pesky habit of melting and catching fire so that idea was nixed. I finally settled on attempting a different approach...


It worked. 

This was such an easy project and I love how it turned out! You only need the following materials to make these snowball votive holders:
{a round glass votive holder, $1.99 @ Hobby Lobby}

{spray adhesive}

 {artificial snow flakes, $1.99 @ Hobby Lobby}

With those three materials these adorable snowballs can be built...


For those of you who say you don't have a crafty bone in your body, here is the the detailed tutorial: ;o)
  • Dump some snowflakes into a container.
  • Go outside {don't use spray adhesive inside -- take my word on this one} and spray the glass votive holder with the adhesive. 
  • Take the votive holder and roll it in the snow flakes. Pat the snow flakes down a little with your hand so they adhere to the glass.
  • Repeat if necessary.  
Some say fire and ice don't mix. 


I disagree.


Update 12/15/2011: I made more of these candle holders today and instead of using a spray adhesive, I painted Mod Podge onto the glass and then sprinkled on the "snow." It worked beautifully! After you've sprinkled on the snow, pat the snow down with your hand to help it adhere better! 

For those who missed my Plaque Attack post yesterday, go here!


Link Parties:
Handmade Tuesday @ Ladybug Blessing
Made by you Monday @ Skip to my Lou
Sister Sunday Link Party @ Sisters of the Wild West
Friday Fun Finds @ kojo designs
Friday Favs @ Naptime Crafters
Free for all Friday @ Sassy Sites
Frugalicious Friday @ Finding Fabulous
Hookin' Up w/House of Hepworths
Show Off Your Stuff @ Fireflies & Jellybeans
Show & Tell @ Blue Cricket Design
DIY Under $5 @ A Little Tipsy


20 comments:

Sandy said...

I love it! I have a whole bag of that fake snow just waiting to be used!

Renee said...

Suzanne, I'm starting to sound like a broken record, but you are BRILLIANT!!! Can I be you when I grow up?

Jillian said...

So pretty!!

gail said...

I love your new votive holder! So simple, yet soooo pretty!
gail

Lynn said...

What a geat idea and so easy!

Amanda said...

That looks awesome! Like a real glowing snowball. And so simple to do as well. Thanks for sharing :)

CJ said...

I had to PIN this!

Lisalulu said...

I saw this on PINTEREST... YOU are famous!

Hama Roska said...

This is such a fun idea. Thanks.

Just Jaime said...

I love this idea!

TheCraftBarn said...

Love it!! I posted a link to this on my blog: http://www.thecraftbarn-ny.blogspot.com/2011/12/crafty-friday-12911.html

Thanks,
Jennifer @ The Craft Barn

Jen Lossing, The Consigner Designer said...

These are so cute. I live in Arizona so we don't see much snow. I am always adding fake snow somewhere in the house. This would make a perfect addition! Thanks for the tip.

Michelle said...

These are fabulous! I was thinking of doing candles with rock salt, but I my have to switch! I am featuring these tomorrow on A Little Tipsy!

Mia said...

Those are so soft and lovely. You have such great ideas.

Wanda @ Centsible Chic said...

Brilliant idea, I love these. Simple, inexpensive, easy and pretty.

Twinstyle said...

What a great idea. I have got to try this! Thanks for sharing!

Traci Mckervey said...

I did this and had problems with three "snow" sticking. After it dried the flakes can be brushed off (not all of them) Any suggestions???

Suzanne said...

Traci,
You do have to be really careful with the votive after the snow has been put on, as the snow can fall off if bounced or brushed. Just put them in a spot where there's not a lot of "bumping" after they are made.
;o)

Cindy said...

I made one of these votives - thinking "how easy!" Well, it was easy but the snow didn't stick and the finished product looked NOTHING like your photo!

Suzanne said...

Cindy,
I'm sorry this didn't work for you. Maybe it was the type of "snow" you used. Not sure.