Thursday, December 09, 2010

Easy Peasy Scarf ...

Here's a gift idea that is so easy and so inexpensive it's almost embarrassing! It would be a great gift for a girlfriend, your child's teacher, or it could be used as a stocking stuffer.  Here are the specifics...

1. Buy yourself some fleece of your choice. I chose a Christmas red because I wanted to wear this scarf during the month of December!

2. Cut two 4" pieces from the width of the fabric. My fabric was 62" wide, so my strips were 4" x 62".

3. Sew two of the short ends together to make a reeeeally long scarf.

4. Then simply sew down the middle of the scarf while bunching the fabric, like this...


My scarf was still a little too long after that first go around, so I bunched the fabric up even more and ran her through the machine again, scrunching up the fabric even more as I sewed right over the top of those first stitches!


I bought this fabric for $6.99 a yard, so this scarf cost me all of $1.50. That's right -- $1.50! I just love it and this morning when I went out to run a few errands I had two strangers stop me to ask where I had bought it. One thing I love about this scarf is that you can encourage it to twist, which is really a cute effect, see...

(Sorry about the poor quality in the above photo -- red
never photographs well -- especially when you 
don't have natural light and you're taking
the picture in a mirror!)

Anyway, this is such a fun, easy project!
Enjoy!

Linked to:
Get Your Craft on Tuesday @ Today's Creative Blog
Homemade Gift Ideas @ Tatertots & Jello
Saturday Soiree @ A Little Lovely
Frugalicious Friday @ Finding Fabulous
Friday Fun Finds @ kojo designs
Neighborhood & Teacher Gifts Linky @ Poppies at Play
Frugal Friday @ The Shabby Nest

32 comments:

billiemonster said...

I love it! Thanks for sharing. I'm gonna make a couple.

~ www.billiemonster.com ~

Julie Harward said...

I love this idea and am going to make one for each of my daughters..love it..and you! ;D

Melissa said...

Fleece always makes the best scarves!!

Lorie said...

Very cute!! I actually have never owned a scarf (being from AZ) but now I think I need one. It gets cold enough to wear one here in TX!

Staci said...

Oh man! If my machine wasn't put away to make way for the tree, I'd be all over this. I may have to pull it out and make do on my kitchen table... So cute!

Susi said...

LOVE THIS...having a girls get together soon and this would be a perfect little gift. And we will be having cream puffs for dessert. ;) TFS

stamphappy2001 said...

Wow, this is such a cute scarf and looks easy to make. Thanks for sharing.

McCullough Madness said...

That scarf is really cute! I hope you have a great Christmas! We are enjoying Chris here for dinner again tonight.

Kristen and Matt

To Sew With Love said...

this is super cute!!! I'll make some! great gift idea! i'm your newest follower! ^^)

Amy said...

That scarf is darling! I just wanted you to know I linked to you and your gorgeous large flowers. I made my own version, but I wanted people to see your greatness! Thanks for sharing so many wonderful ideas!
xoxo,
Amy
p.s. the post is here: http://amerooniedesigns.blogspot.com/2010/12/pillow-talk.html

Lisa said...

Love it! The vibrant red is so pretty for the holidays. I've mad a few of these with some stretchy cotton that also works well. I'm not a big fleece person because it makes my hair stick to it...but it's a lot warmer!

Gloria Fox said...

So cute! Wish our ONLY fabric store was still open. JoAnne's is going in a new location in April and they decided to close the old store already. UGH...what are we supposed to do until April??? Sorry for the venting :-)

Love the scarf!!!

Dacia said...

Love this scarf! My "to do" crafting list is just growing and growing! I'm going to have to make one of these :)

Chris said...

Such a simple and elegant way to make a scarf!

Jess said...

I love your scarf! Its so cuuuuute!

casserole said...

Love it!! I linked to your tutorial over at Craft Gossip Sewing:
http://sewing.craftgossip.com/tutorial-easy-peasy-fleece-scarf/2010/12/11/

--Anne

Helen said...

This is adorable I am going to make some as soon as I can get to the store

{northern cottage} said...

oh my goodness - what a wonderful combination...EASY and CUTE. I'm so gonna make one (probably lots!) of these....thanks so much for sharing!

Paula said...

I made this last night! I bought a sewing machine when I was 7 months pregnant and used it for the first time to make this. My daughter is 4.5 months old, haha! Anyway, if this inexperienced sewer can make this in less than 10 minutes, anyone can! Thanks for the tutorial!

Sally Keller said...

Love this!! Thanks for sharing! I hope to make one and share on my 12 days of Christmas on my blog later this week!! ♥
sally
sallysangelworks.typepad.com

Kristen said...

oh super super cute!! if you have a chance come link up to handmade tuesdays @ www.ladybug-blessings.com

Madigan at madiganmade said...

Oh this is so cute! Love how easy it is, too.

roxybonds said...

THANKS!!!! I just made some of these, matching for my daughter and myself :) LOVE!

Jeana said...

Thank you so much!! What a great idea. I need to drag out all my fleece out now.

Princess Danell said...

Super cute. I took your inspiration and made and "Inception Scarf". Come by and check it out. www.princessdanellcards.blogspot.com

Brandi said...

Love your scarf!

The Autocrat: Haley said...

I totally need to make some of these for next year! They look so cute. Okay, is it REALLY that easy to pleat the fleece like you are showing??

http://www.artfire.com/users/auntiechrisquiltfabric said...

Very nice project!Very cute.

Sweet Floweret said...

have to wear a red scarf tonight and made this in 5 mins! it's so cute.
thanks!

CindyB said...

I tried this tonight and when I pulled on the scarf the thread would come loose. I tried 3 times using different stitches, I even went through it twice like you did with yours. Any suggestions?

Suzanne said...

Cindy - It sounds to me like you are using a basting stitch instead of a regular size stitch. If you are using a regular sized stitch it shouldn't come loose. Either that or your tension on your machine isn't set correctly...

Jamie Gupton said...

This is perfect for the upcoming Christmas season! I have "Pin'd" you for future reference. :) Thank you for the beautiful inspiration!