Friday, July 09, 2010

Silver Linings...

Yesterday I ran a lot of errands -- one of which was dropping some items off at a thrift store in our town. It seems I go there as much to drop things off as I do to search for treasures. Does that seem incongruous to you? It does to me. I wasn't looking for anything in particular, but since I was there I thought I'd take a quick sweep through the store to see if anything caught my eye. Famous last words -- that I rarely regret.

I came upon this silver creamer and sugar bowl set. When I picked it up I knew immediately that it was silver-lined rather than pure silver. It was way too heavy to be pure silver, but I loved the shape of these items. When I bought them they were tarnished with a thick patina, but I hoped that would buff right off with a little tender loving care.

Eighteen hours later I learned that sometimes tender loving care isn't enough. I don't think there is enough silver polish in the world to take these items back to pristine form, but that doesn't really bother me much. I love things that are a little weathered, a little time-worn, and a little used. These fit into that category beautifully.

I paid a total of $1.68 for these treasures. Sometimes I like to buy things like this to use as receptacles for gifts. A few little flowers in one and some candy in another can brighten a friend's day. Thrift store items can be inexpensive containers for gifts! Just a thought...



Linked to:
Garage Salen @ Debbiedoos
Deals of the Week @ Frugal Finds
Frugalicious Friday @ Finding Fabulous

***Feel free to scroll down and sign up for my Give-Away!***


12 comments:

Melissa said...

I, personally, love the look of tarnished silver.

Good idea for gifts too.

Debbie said...

I like tarnished too, shows character! Those are fabulous finds...and thanks so much for sharing with us...I do appreciate your participation always:) Debbie
Have a great weekend. Debbie

Tins and Treasures said...

Oh, I love your thift store finds...they are lovely. And, yes, I often drop of stuff at their back door...and then walk around to the front door to shop. My philosophy is that I have to drop off more bags than I bring home. Sure wish we could go 'thrifting' together!

Have a fabulous Friday. ~Natalie

Debbie@Debbie-Dabble said...

I too love tarnished silver but if it isn't for you, you can always paint it cottage white!

Debbie

Vintagesouthernlife said...

LOL! I often go in one door to drop things off...go back out and into the store. Rarely do I not find something.
I love silver with a little wear.It starts me to wondering about its previous life.
Have a great week-end.
Annette

Mary Ellen said...

I love old silver too!! I found a trophy handled tray (bowling tournament!) a few months back - it is the greatest piece for little vignettes and of course serving a great cup of tea!

bee blessed
mary

The Polka Dot Closet said...

Thank you for the reminder, what great gift containers!

Carol

Tina said...

These are so gorgeous Suzanne! What a find, and I can't believe you paid less than $2 for these treasures!! They certainly buffed up beautifully:) ~ Tina xx

Julie said...

This is so true...my SIL made everyone the sweetest posy's or nosegays with these gorgeous Victorian vases she found! She had found a whole lot of them! Wonderful find, and she used fresh flowers from her garden and tied a ribbon around the vase too!

Yours are perfect for a very sweet and memorable gift! They are beautiful!

Green Willow Pond said...

Oh my goodness Suzanne! I just picked up the exact same set a few weeks ago at a garage sale. Mine is very tarnished, which I have been waffling about polishing. Seeing yours, I think I will. If I don't like it, it will eventually re-tarnish right? How cool...we have similar taste.

Sweet Bee Cottage said...

What a great gift idea! I'm going to keep that in mind. You are just full of marvelous ideas.

Bonnie@Creative Decorating said...

Just visiting from debbiedoos party! That was a great buy. What a wonderful idea to use as gifts, too! I just bought several silver pieces on ebay as I found a good deal but not like that!