Tuesday, July 27, 2010

Bloomin' Tuesday...

We are lucky enough to have a peach tree in our backyard.

Fruit trees along the Front Range in Colorado (just east of the Rockies) are a hit and miss proposition. Most years we get fruit, but it's not unusual to have a late frost that hits the early budding trees eliminating the prospect of fruit for that year.

This year, however, was a good year. Our tree is full of big, beautiful, ripening peaches...

In the next few days we'll start harvesting these beauties...

Looking at all this ripening fruit has given me a hankerin' fer peach cobbler! (A southern drawl would come in so handy at times like this.) There seems to be two camps for cobbler recipes. One camp prefers the more rustic approach of biscuit-like dough plopped onto the top of the fruit and baked to a golden brown. The other camp prefers a sweet oatmeal cookie-like topping crumbled over the top of the fruit and baked till crisp.

You can't go wrong with either one, but I pitch my tent with the "oatmeal cookie-like topping" camp. I tend to be a little lazy with my culinary skilz these days, so a few years ago I concocted a recipe for "Suzanne's Easy Peasy Cobbler." This recipe can be used with any type of fruit, and the fruit can be fresh, frozen or even canned. I prefer fresh. Here are a few of my favorite combinations:

Peach & Berry Cobbler ::: peaches with a sprinkling of any type of berries

Berry Cobbler ::: a mix of blueberries, blackberries, raspberries, strawberries -- my personal favorite!

Apple Cobbler ::: straight up or with dash of berries or cherries (remember to put the apples in the microwave for a few minutes to soften).

Cherry Cobbler ::: a perfect 4th of July treat!

For any of the above Cobblers use the following recipe:

Suzanne's Easy Peasy Cobbler

This recipe will fill: two 8x8 inch square pans; or one 9x13 inch pan
  • Spray pan(s) with non-fat cooking spray and fill the bottom of the pan(s) with the fruit of your choice. You only need a fat layer of the fruit, but put in as much as you would like. If you are using cans, you need about 3 large cans of fruit.
  • Depending upon the fruit sprinkle very lightly with sugar or sugar substitute. I use a little sugar on tart berries, tart apples, and tart cherries, but not on peaches.
  • Here's the easy part...Buy a package of Oatmeal Cookie mix like the one to the right. I prefer Ms. Crocker's version (17.5 oz.), but I'm sure any will do.
  • Mix up the cookie batter as directed on the package.
  • Then crumble cookie mixture on the top of the fruit. Whaalllaaa!
  • Bake at 350 degrees for 30 to 40 minutes.
  • I like this best served warmed with a generous scoop of vanilla ice cream on top!
Enjoy!



Linked to:
Anything Related @ All Thingz Related
Bloomin' Tuesday @ Ms. Green Thumb Jean's

20 comments:

Julie Harward said...

The peaches look Heavenly! Thanks for the quick tip...love it! :D

Lynn said...

Those peaches look delicious!! I agree about the oatmeal topping for the cobbler/crisp. Up here in Alberta we call it a crisp when it has oatmeal topping and a cobbler when it has a biscuit one (or at least my family does):-)

Becca's Dirt said...

Oh my goodness - you have just paired two of my favorites. I have all of the ingredients to make this.

But wait I can't make this yet. I'm quiting smoking (this is 2nd day) and I don't want to spoil my chances of success. Let me explain - If I eat something like this now for some strange reason I feel like I've jinxed my efforts. This is best saved for some company. Thanks for this eezy peezy recipe.

Lori said...

These look soo good!!!

Staci said...

Those are beautiful!
So looking forward to my yummy peach goodness!

perennialgardener said...

Ooh yummy! You are lucky indeed to have this wonderful tree, peaches are one of my favorite fruits. :)

Becca said...

Hey Suzanne! I just loved your container link from Show an d tell and will be featuring it on Aug. 31. If you don't mind! I gave you full credit of course and linked your button back to your beautiful blog! Thanks for the great link! Loved it!

shannon i olson said...

First of all...great idea! second I am jealous of your peach trees.

Melissa said...

Delish!!

Terrell said...

Ohhhh how I love fresh peaches! There's a farm nearby that should have their crop ready soon! YAY! I just love your pictures and the cobbler recipe is a "must try" Thank you so much for sharing!!
~Terrell @ FrouFrouDecor~

Jean said...

Ilove fresh peaches and I had my first good one today. Looking at your just makes me want another. I'll have to give your recipe a try. Sounds delicious! Jean

Paula said...

Love your peaches and the recipe looks yummy - thanks for sharing I will have to try it when our peaches come on in about a month.
THanks! paula in Idaho

Linda (PA_shutterbug) said...

Your peaches look so good. I just want to reach out and pick one! Thank you for the cobbler recipe. I never thought to use BC oatmeal cookie mix for a topping. What a great idea!

Tara said...

Make sure you throw some of those peaches on the grill! We tried it the other night and YUM!

www.tarabeingtara.blogspot.com

Julie said...

I always enjoy your posts. I think I better find myself some peaches and make a peach cobbler of my own.

Alea said...

The peaches look fantastic! I'm going to have to pick some up at the farmer's market so I can try out some of your ideas.

Tanya said...

you are so lucky to eat them from your own tree. I can imagine their freshiness and aroma!
awesome!:)

Laurel @ Ducks in a Row said...

Those peaches look so delicious - now I'm hungry.

See Jamie blog said...

We live in Georgia, The Peach State, so when we planted a few fruit trees a couple of years ago, we felt we had to plant a peach tree! This is the first year it has had "real" peaches, but we've had such trouble keeping pests off of it. Do you have trouble with that?

And vanilla ice cream on cobbler: perfect!

★All Thingz Related★ said...

Thank you for sharing this great peach recipe with us at Anything Related!
{Rebekah}