Sunday, July 04, 2010

Frozen Banana Split Squares... the perfect way to celebrate

It's not very often that I try new recipes for a holiday. I tend to stick with family favorites that have passed the test of time. Tonight was the exception. Last week I was perusing my favorite blogs and came upon this recipe at "Our Best Bites" for Frozen Banana Split Squares. My knees went weak. Fortunately I was sitting down at the time. What could be better than ice cream sandwiches, bananas, strawberries, whipped topping with crushed pineapple, caramel and hot fudge? Did I forget the crushed up Butterfingers? And Butterfingers. I hope you all were sitting down as you read those ingredients. I wouldn't want to be responsible for a fall.

Today I whipped one up, and tonight we tasted it for the first time! Heaven on a spoon.

Since the weekend isn't over yet, and we still have one more night of celebration before we get back to the grind, I thought I'd share this idea for dessert for tomorrow night. Yum.

I followed the recipe to a "t", but next time instead of slicing the strawberries I'm going to dice them into smaller pieces so one doesn't get a huge bite of frozen strawberry. Also, after cutting the dessert into squares and plating each serving, I think I'll leave them on the counter for five minutes or so to give each serving a chance to "warm up!" This recipe can easily be halved and put into an 8x8" pan. Enjoy!


Jeralee said...

oh.yum. That looks so delish. I love a good dessert.

Julie said...


Tolentreasures said...

Oh. My. Gosh. I started a boot camp this morning and swore off sweets for the six weeks. This did NOT help that one bit and it is only day ONE!

Off to craft, maybe that will get my mind off it!
I think that I will bookmark this for mid August.


Bonecrusher said...

Shannon, are you reading this ;)

Those look fantastic!

Pamela Rosenberg said...

Thank Heavens I am not an ice cream lovver ( the only vice I did not seem to inherit) but I know my daughter will be all over this and I will be forwarding to her. I think she will really like your blog too. I know I do. I was thinking about it today while I was reading. I like the conversational tone you use. That is what I try and achieve too and you sprinkle those pictures in that are really nice photos and just the right amount. You've got this blogging thing down girl. :)
Have a great week.

Sourkraut said...

If I weren't so full of cupcakes right now I'd be tempted to make this. Looks fabulous! I'll have to add this recipe to my roster.

Jen said...

OHHHH my golly gosh that looks just amazing! Amazing I tell you! I will be making that and soon! Thanks miss!

Susan Staus said...

amazing! I feel so blessed to have stumbled onto your blog today, not quite sure the path I took to get here, but so grateful I'm here!
We are having my in-laws over for their birthdays tomorrow (they are 1 day apart) and they wanted us to make an ice cream cake, but instead I'm going to make this!!! How wonderful!!! Thank you so much!!!