Wednesday, November 11, 2009

Placemat Pillows

This afternoon I could be found at one of my favorite stores, Crate and Barrel. I hadn't been there for several months, so I took my time browsing the isles and looking at all the desirable entertaining and decorating items they had on display. That's my idea of a eye candy. My eyes kept being drawn to the pillows they had featured -- especially the appliqued pillows. Here's a sampling of what I saw...


Just beautiful. I'm drawn to these vibrant, earth toned colors all year long, and I was imaging how beautiful one of these pillows would look in my family room. Most of large pieces of furniture in my family room are brown-toned, so I like to accessorize with bright colors, and I thought one of these pillows would do the trick, until I looked at the price tags. Now, I don't mind spending money on a quality item every now and then, but I just couldn't rationalize spending between $37 - $50 for one of these beauties. Simply couldn't bring myself to do it. Then my eyes lit on this placemat.
Again, I was drawn to the beautiful appliques and colors...

Hmmm. Months ago I read an article where someone had taken a placemat and transformed it into a pillow. I checked the back of the placemat and it was "lined." A beautiful possibility began to take shape. A purchase was made and I high-tailed it home to begin the transformation.

All you have to do is use your seam ripper and open a hole in the bottom seam. Stuff with a pillow form (14"x18") or stuffing and sew the seam back up. The whole process takes the better part of 10 minutes. Seriously.

Honestly, this little gal is just as pretty as any of the other pillows I saw and she was a fraction of the price. I'm dancing the happy dance. What's more, two more placemats came home with me and are awaiting their transformation (scroll up to see my favorite one completed)...


Head on over to "The Shabby Chic Cottage" for Transformation Thursday and "Tales from Bloggeritaville" for some Thrifty Thursday ideas. Also linked to Funky Junk Interior's "Saturday Night Special!"

28 comments:

Mimi said...

Beautiful pillow. Thanks for the tip about using placemats....they sure are more cost effective than buying a pillow!

Lisa said...

Oh my word, you're a genius! They look just wonderful. I so want to try this out myself now.

lusciouschaos said...

What a brilliant idea!! I never like the pillows that are available. This expands the options.

Jill said...

How beautiful and clever! Thank you I can't wait to try this.
~ Jill

MiaKatia said...

I have the hugest grin on my face just thinking about all the amazing things people create and re-purpose and put together. I think the idea is brilliant and I love the pillow!

Chari said...

Hi Suzanne...

Ohh my goodness...this idea just has me doing the happy dance too! My friend, I was just looking at those beautiful placemats at Crate & Barrel...I love the vibrant colors! In fact, I nearly bought the placemats that you made your first pillow out of for Thanksgiving! Now...I would have never...ever...thought to use them for pillows! I guess I just didn't think about opening up a side seam! I'm so excited...really this is like opening up a whole new world...a pretty placemat pillow world anyway! Hehe...I'll never look at a placemat the same way ever again! And...what an inexpensive option! I'm with you...it's difficult to spend upwards of $50 on a decorative pillow...no matter how pretty it is! Thank you sooooo much for sharing this fabulous idea with us!!!

Well my friend, this is my very first time to visit your blog and I see that you are from Colorado! I live in the northeastern corner of Colo...was wondering where you might be located? It's so nice to meet a fellow Colorado blogger...there really aren't many or at least I haven't ran into many! I have added your delightful blog to my list of blog follows and look forward to your upcoming posts and getting to know you!

So very nice to meet you, Suzanne!

Warmest wishes,
Chari @Happy To Design

PS...okay, I'm going now to check out my placemats! Hehe!

Annie of Blue Gables said...

Now aren't you such a clever person! Good for you.
~a

Tolentreasures said...

What a great idea and that pillow is beautiful! Thanks for sharing your creation!

Cathy

Julie said...

tHIS is BRILLIANT!!! Your pillow is stunning!!!

Renee said...

What a great idea! Your pillow is just beautiful, and you're right, placemates make perfect pillow fabric. They're durable, inexpensive. You're so smart, Suzanne!!!

I'm totally stealing this idea.

craftydiane said...

Great idea and beautiful pillows!
I love reading your blog!
Please take a minute and check out my Etsy Store:
http://www.etsy.com/shop/craftydiane
Thank you and have a Blessed Day,
Diane

Pat said...

I have made purses out of particularly spiffy placemats -- the quilted kind. Not trying to plant a seed or anything.......

paintedprimrose said...

suzanne, you deserve your own tv show. seriously :)

Jillian said...

Love it!

linda said...

What a G-R-E-A-T idea and something even a non-sew person like me can do! Thanks for sharing!

pk said...

It's gorgeous and very fun that you used a placemat to make it. Love it!

pk @ Room Remix

Elizabeth said...

Brilliant! And you don't have to be an expert seamstress to do it. A little handsewing and it's done!

I love it your choices, too!

Patriotic Mom said...

I loved this idea, how clever! I can't wait to try it.

Kate Bagley said...

Beautiful pillow! A great idea too! This might be a project that I'll have to try! Thanks for sharing.

Kristine said...

Wow! Thanks for the tip! I absolutely love the idea! :)

Jenni said...

Oh, I can't wait to try this!!

Kim @ Cheap Chic Home said...

I've done this myself--but not with placemats as pretty!

Funky Junk Interiors said...

Heehee! I LOVE cheat methods! The new pillows look fabulous!! I never think to check out that section in stores but I will now!

Thanks for linking up!

FJ Donna

Leigh of Bloggeritaville said...

Why pay more when you can pay less? This is awesome! What wonderful treasures you created!
Thank you for linking up to Thrifty Thursday this week, and as always thank you for being a friend in Bloggeritaville.
Leigh
Tales from Bloggeritaville
www.lbratina.blogspot.com

Grace @ Ruby Moon Designs said...

Beautiful pillow! I've done the same thing and used placemats/linen napkins to make pillows! So much cheaper than buying the "name brand" and easy to make! Thanks for sharing!

-Grace

Brenda said...

Oh my goodness! I look at pillows all the time and just when I am happy with the price there is only one and I want at least two. I will be checking out the placements everywhere I go now!

lauren@WESTFURNITUREREVIVAL said...

love this idea... and the pillows look great.

Shandra Lenae said...

These are gorgeous! Why haven't I seen this before. I must go pick up some placemats ASAP!