Tuesday, November 24, 2009

Mini Paper Mache Boxes

I'm always looking for containers to wrap presents in at Christmas time. A few weeks ago I came upon this post at Holly's Haven. I admired the cute gift box she made from a recycled candy box. It got me thinking. I love the idea of the container being part of the gift. For example, a piece of jewelry being placed in a container that later could hold earrings, a ring, or some loose change. Here's what I came up with...

First I bought a few 99 cent paper mache boxes at Hobby Lobby...

Then I bought a few sheets of scrapbook paper and collected these items that I had around the house...

Then I went to work and created these cute gift boxes. I just cut out some paper and modge-podged the scrapbook paper to the paper mache box. (Tip: When you modge-podge make sure you put modge-podge on both surfaces -- the paper and the box. This assures a tighter seal.) Next you "paint" modge-podge all over the outside surface of the paper. This adds a sheen to the surface. When the box was dry I distressed the edges of the box a bit with an ink pad. Next I punched out my flower petals, distressed them, wrinkled them up a bit, stacked them, and used a brad to secure them together and to the top of the box. It would be easy to make bigger boxes too, by adding several "flowers" to the top of a larger box. This was one of the easiest and most fun projects that I've done in some time! Cute, eh?

These cute boxes could be filled with a piece of jewelry, a gift card, or Hershey's kisses! The possibilities are endless! ;o)

(Thank you, Holly, for sharing such a cute idea with us all!)

I've linked to Today's Creative Blog's "Get Your Craft On"
and "DIY Day" at A Soft Place to Land !

Also...
to Funky Junk Interior's Saturday Nite Special &
Metamorphosis Monday at Between Naps on the Porch!
Head over to all those links to find more creative ideas!

20 comments:

Quilt Hollow said...

Wonderful idea!! Thanks for sharing and enjoy your Thanksgiving!!

Carolynn said...

WOW! You are SO creative. I wouldn't have a clue where to begin. Those look great. You may have to tell the recipient to look inside. They may think the box IS the gift.

Julie said...

What beautiful boxes!!! I like yours so much more than anything I could ever come up with!!! :)

Jan said...

These are beautiful!! You are amazing -- so, so pretty!

Tolentreasures said...

How cute those are. I have tons of little boxes at home, a Goodwill find. I need to make some of these. Thanks for sharing.

Cathy

Kathy @ Creative Home Expressions said...

These are great! It's like two gifts in one if you use this as a gift box.

Andrea at Opulent Cottage said...

That IS really cute! I have a bunch of those plain boxes that I use to package the jewelry that I sell. I think my customers would be so happy if I decorated them! Thanks for a great idea.

Cheers, Andrea

Holly said...

They turned out absolutely adorable!! Thanks for sharing. :)

Aunt Spicy said...

1. So jealous you have a Hobby Lobby!
2. Super cute boxes, way to go!

Katie said...

Very pretty and a beautiful present in and of itself. Did you have trouble decoupaging the lids with the curves?

Suzanne said...

To decoupage the lids just modge podge the paper to the top of the box lid, then cut slits in the paper for the side. Then turn down those slits over the sides of the top. There will be some over-lapping. If you enlarge the photos you will see where the sides of the top are cut.

Jenni said...

Why, oh, why don't you live next door?! I want to craft with you!!

dee dee said...

How creative! I have several samll boxes that checks came in- perfect for this idea! thanks for sharing... Dee Dee

Kammy said...

Those are super cute !
Kammy

Mimi said...

Adorable little boxes.

Leanne said...

Those are darling. I love them. You did a great job.

Funky Junk Interiors said...

Cool! The good news here is you don't have to fill them because the box in itself is a must have! :)

Very creative! Love the black and white effect on them.

Thanks for linking up!
FJ Donna

myrepurposedlife.blogspot.com said...

beautiful, creative! They are gorgeous!
gail

Lara Harris said...

These are lovely!:)

Claudia@DipityRoad said...

What a great idea! I love them.

If you get a chance I would love for you to stop by as well.

TTFN~~Claudia ♥ ♥