Sunday, July 12, 2009

Jammin'

Our cherry tree had been laden with fruit this year. We've been harvesting... our friends and neighbors have been harvesting... the birds have been harvesting. All have been harvesting and we've hardly made a dent in our cherry population. It's been a good year.

As a result of all this delicious fruit on our hands, I've been doing a little jammin'...

I love making jam. There's a therapeutic value in it for me. It makes me happy to pick a piece of fruit, smash it, add a ton of sugar, cook it till the house smells of it's sugary goodness, pour it into a jars, and stare at its mouth-watering lusciousness. I don't even have to taste it to be satisfied -- although I do...

Once I get into the "jammin' mode," there's no stopping me. Next I took some of these...

and some of these...

and created these...

My next project? One of these...

Yum...

11 comments:

MiaKatia said...

Mmmmmmm delicious. I love your jam :)

Kristine said...

Ooooooohhhhhh I agree! YUM! I've never had cherry jam! Interesting. :)

Annie of Blue Gables said...

That's just what we did with our Mulberries. mmmmmm
~a

Kristen said...

That all looks so yummy! I need breakfast!

Pat Deck said...

Your jams make me drool. We are hoping to go blueberry & cherry picking with the grand kids this weekend, so some jam might be our future as well!

I love to make bread. Have you tried Artisan Bread in 5 Minutes a Day? It's a great method of making a batch of dough that will keep in your fridge for up to 10 days. You just cut off a chunk when you want to bake, let it rise to room temp & then bake. Easy Peasy.

Cole said...

Does that mean the next tote will have a scrumptious jar of jam in it? :)

Chris said...

OH, now I am hungry!! :) What a neat blessing to have so much fruit to do some "jammin'" with! I agree, it sorta makes you feel like "Little house on the Prarie" or a Proverbs 31 woman! :) Nice work Suzanne. I am in the middle of a bumper crop of VERY large zucchini, so I am making chocolate nut zucchini bread today until they come out of my ears! :). It is delicious. I got the recipe from a friend of mine from church. Great when you have lots of extra zucchini . I'll freeze a bunch of the loaves and have "to-go" dessets for the fall and even for Christmas.

Quilt Hollow said...

I've never made jam and always love when somebody offers me some of theirs...nothing like homemade! Can you send a jar with the tote I hope to win? LOL

Mary on Lake Pulaski said...

Drooling here...........

Kristi said...

yum... yum... yum!

Renee said...

Yum! I'm drooling and feeling suddenly hungry! I don't know what looks better... the fresh fruit, jam or that bread and butter!

I've decided to not stress over my sad little garden and hope for a better start next year. I'll just live through your photos!