Monday, July 27, 2009

Bloomin' Tuesday...

Ahem. I need a little help. I have something growing in my front yard. Right by my front door. In plain sight. It's a climber and it loves this shady spot. I don't remember planting it, and I can tell you right now I don't know what it is. It looks oddly peculiar and somewhat suspicious. Ok, it looks very suspicious. I'm hoping you Bloomin' Tuesday ladies can fill me in to its species and put my mind at rest. I don't want an officer of the law knocking on my door and telling me I have a controlled substance growing smack dab in the middle of my garden plainly visible to little old ladies, small children, and poodles. Contraband would be hard to explain to the neighbors, let alone the police -- especially when I've been taking such good care of it -- watering it daily and fertilizing it on schedule. I'm at your mercy, ladies...

What is this?

And please don't tell me it's "weed" -- without specifying just what variety. Thank you.

PS: That's hail damage on the leaves. We've had our fair share -- and then some -- of hail this summer!

To visit more Bloomin' Tuesday posts,

mosey on over the Ms. Green Thumb Jean's.

13 comments:

perennialgardener said...

Wish I could help with the id. Hope it's not a weed for your sake. :)

Mary said...

is it virginia creeper? Looks like it might be. Do a google search..

Aiyana said...

Whatever it is, it's pretty. Such a great green color. Doesn't look like a controlled substance to me. Not that I would know!
Aiyana

Darla said...

I'll have to say that it is Virgina Creeper and yes it's invasive here, grows wild in the woods and we pull it up in the gardens. Very pretty when trained and kept pruned though.

PA_Shutterbug said...

Thank you for your comment on my "Bloomin' Tuesday" blog. I know names of very few plants, but I would have to agree with Darla that what you have is Virginia Creeper (I googled Virginia Creeper. One of the identifying characteristics of Virginia Creeper is five leaves, which your plant has.)

Diane said...

I'm certain that's Virginia Creeper. It comes up on its own at my house in Louisville, Kentucky too. Usually in the shade. Lots of people mistake it for poison ivy, but its harmless.

MiaKatia said...

I would totally tell you what it is, but I prefer to keep my vast plant knowledge under wraps ;)

Elena said...

I don't know what it is, but it sure is pretty!

Quilt Hollow said...

I posted a very fun and similiar post a few back. Also found out what kind of plant it was....my comments were very interesting!

Erzebat said...

It is a vine we loving call her in Virginia as Virginia Creeper. it has a loverly white cluster of flowers in late summer and deep blue berries in the fall. it also turns a beautiful scarlet red in late fall to early winter. a good hard frost will make it seem it has 'died' but it will come back heavier the next spring. I have had it creep thru my window sills and try to grow inside my sewing room! it grows profusly along the fences and retaining walls here in southeast Va. enjoy the vine! I do. (mauh) Liz

Heather said...

Ha ha! Loved your blog. When people come into the nursery, they always ask if we're growing weed...the smokable kind.

Virginia Creeper is just beautiful in the fall but man, it can take over the entire place so be careful!

Jean said...

Sounds like your problem is solved. Now you have to decide to keep it or get rid of it! Sorry I wasn't by yesterday, internet problems. Jean

Suzanne said...

Whew! I am relieved! Virginia Creeper sounds ominous, but not as ominous as a policeman on your doorstep with an arrest warrant in hand.