Friday, May 22, 2009

Practical vs. Luxurious

Today is my birthday. Early on in our marriage my husband discovered my preference for frivolous gifts of luxury rather than practical gifts when he gave me a fly swatter as a gift for my birthday. It wasn't just any fly swatter. It was a top-of-the-line Fly Shooter Bug Gun. In his defense (a paltry one at best) at the time I was a nursing mother and we were having a bit of a fly infestation in our small home. He believed that by giving me this fly shooter gun he was doing me a great favor. He surmised that I could sit on the sofa, nurse the baby, and kill those pesky flies at the same time. He's a thoughtful man at heart. Shortly after receiving that gift I sat him down and "explained" to him that I preferred gifts of a more epicurean bent. He got the message loud and clear and since that time has offered me deliciously luxurious gifts of jewelry, scents, silks, and the like. That is, up until a few weeks ago...

Several weeks ago my husband and I were perusing the isles at "Anthropologie." To be accurate, I was perusing. He was walking around, arms folded, picking up an item every now and then, looking decidedly uncomfortable and keeping his eye on the door. He's the kind of guy that will suffer through any discomfort and never complain just to please me. A pretty sweet little catch, if you ask me. I have had my eye on a couple of items in that store for years...

These sweet little ceramic measuring cups...

and these adorable measuring spoons...

My husband saw me ogling these items and said, "Why don't you get them." I suggested he buy them for me. He could give me one for Mother's Day and the other for my birthday. His eyebrows raised. He was remembering a "certain conversation" when I emphatically delineated the advantages of presenting me with luxurious rather than practical presents. I could see his poor little analytical mind working over-time. He considered a set of measuring cups and spoons a practical item -- tools for the kitchen. It was a perplexing situation for him. He ended up getting them, but that man is a quick study and has the memory of an elephant. He also gave me some beautiful flowers for Mother's Day and I hear tell there are a few more delectable treats awaiting me at the end of the day ... Yippeeee!

Just curious... Do you prefer practical or luxurious gifts?


23 comments:

Nancy said...

As my sister, you are privy to the second year of marriage-birthday, gold-sprayed tire iron episode. Need I say more, except: Happy Birthday, Sis!

kisa said...

HAPPY BIRTHDAY!! Those cups and spoons are so cute. Hope you have a GREAT day!! :)

Renee said...

Both.

Have the happiest of happy birthdays and enjoy your lovely new "practical" gifts!!! Those measuring spoons are beautiful.

Jenni said...

Hmmm. Not sure how to answer that one since I did my own shopping this year...

But the Fly Shooter Bug Gun?! Oh. My. Word. Nearly had an unfortunate bladder situation going on over here laughing at that one.

That story is as good as one told by my friend Claire, who while a lonely young mother was given a CB radio by her husband so that she could converse with the truckers.

Gadzooks!

Jenni said...

Oh! And happy, happy birthday, by the way!! Hope you have a wonderful one!

Kristine said...

Oh Happy Birthday! That's such a funny story. Mostly because I put the things I want in front of my husbands face, and he still gets distracted and often gets me things I don't particularly love - but I love him so I don't push it :D

I actually like practical gifts most of the time, but when we've been through a lot of frugality, I feel the need for a luxurious gift. Does that make sense?

Can't wait to hear how the rest of your evening goes!

Quilt Hollow said...

Oh the things we put our husband's through. I love surprises period. Any kind of thought on his part is a big score! One year I was so happy, I cried about receiving a fishing pole. I like to fish and when I took my boys would always hold on to theirs. DH took notice and got me one! Then on Mother's Day in completely caught me off guard with a new larger monitor for my longarm! I guess these are practical?

Seeryus Mama said...

Happy Birthday!!!

Those measuring cups are beautiful! Love them!

I like practical gifts, so long as it's not like a skillet, or iron. My husband has been known to give me something like that for my birthday before! LOL, I want practical on the side of luxurious! Does that make any sense?

MiaKatia said...

Happy Birthday!!!!! I hope that you have a wonderful day full of gardening and parties ;)

I want practical on the side of luxurious too. Like a really nice shirt that isn't in my normal clothing budget, or the top of the line gas weed eater (yes I really really wanted a weed eater), or something like what you got that is as pretty as it is practical. Awww who am I kidding I just love gifts ;)

Jan said...

Happy birthday - hope your day was wonderful! Your hubby and mine seem cut from the same cloth -- decidedly practical, but teachable! Your description of the two of you in Anthropologie did me in - -it's US!!

For me - -he has learned that he does NOT buy the practical gifts for birthdays, Mother's Day, etc. It took a while, but he did learn!

C-ingspots said...

Happy Birthday!!
Loved the story about your husband and the fly gun - too funny!!
Hmmm...not sure which I prefer. I guess it sort of depends on the item and my mood. Gifts are delightful either way, and I love giving gifts even more than getting them.
I too think the measuring cups and the little spoons are adorable!

Danielle said...

Happy Birthday. I myself prefer luxurious gifts over practical, but I feel like your new goodies fall under a separate category... practically luxurious!

Mary on Lake Pulaski said...

Happy Birthday. Practical only if they are something I would NOT go out and buy myself (ie. Kitchenaid Mixer) otherwise luxurious.

Chris said...

HAPPY BIRTHDAY!!!The measuring cups and spoons are soooo cute! I like a little of both...luxurious and practical! :) Its always fun to see what neat practical thing my husband gets...I always love it. And the luxrious ones are something I would NEVER ask for or buy but am so happy he did!! :)

Muddy Boot Dreams said...

Well Happy Birthday, Birthday Girl. And many more.

Jen

Mary said...

we share a bithday. Happy birthday girlfriend. Today at a quilt shop in a town far away, my hubby came in to see what was taking so long. He told the clerks, he had my creditcard,cash and money.. I retorted. I'ts my birthday and I'll shop if I want to. A darling fabric wallet with "it is expensive being me" followed me out. With plenty of fabric too. LOL

Cole said...

Happy, Happy Birthday!!!!

Sirius radio for my car.

A replacement iPod since my was stolen.

A case for all of my CDs I had to burn to replace my missing iPod.

Wii fit.

Those are all practical right? I can't live without my music!

AND my son CAN sit still for two minutes...He was "playing" the yoga game on my grandma's Fit.

Once again practical.


Who am I kidding I am ALL about the luxury!

Cole said...

BTW-

I LOVE those measuring cups!

I might have to add them to my list. :)

Shawn said...

Happy Birthday!!

Sorry I missed it! :)

Hope you got every little thing that you wanted...

annie w. said...

Happy, happy birthday, Suzanne!!!!Hope you had a wonderful day.
LOVE the measuring tools.. so glad you got what you wanted!
Annie

Tins and Treasures said...

Happy Birthday. I'm sorry I missed it. As for gifts, I'll bet I have nearly every kitchen appliance invented. And I would love a little set of measuring cups and spoons like these!! I hope you had a great day ~Natalie

Carolynn said...

Hey! Happy Belated! Actually, I'm a firm believer in extending birthday celebrations for an entire week. :o))

I'm a hedonist at heart, so I like to be pampered in some shape or form. Flowers are always a good idea, as is jewellery.

BTW...the flyswatter gift has got to be the WORST gift ever. OMG...bless his poor misguided heart.

Nate's Mom said...

I loved this post! I like gifts that show the thought put into them. If it's practical, I want to know why it was chosen. I did make it clear to my husband that lingerie was not acceptable for my birthday, because that was clearly for him, not me. For our anniversary, maybe, lol.
I hope you had a great birthday. Our 10th anniversary was the same day :-) And I didn't get lingerie, but dinner and a movie.

Sheri in CA