Wednesday, May 07, 2014

Visit to "First Monday" in Canton, TX...


During our trip to Dallas, Texas last week we had the chance to go to "First Monday" in Canton. "First Monday Trade Days" is the oldest and largest continually operating outdoor flea market in the United States. It is only open one weekend a month -- the weekend before the first Monday of the month. It attracts up to 100,000 shoppers and provides space for 6,000 vendors located on hundreds of acres. It is a place to buy home decor, furnishings, antiques, clothing, crafts, jewelry, and flea market/garage sale items.


I'd heard about "Canton" for years from another daughter-in-law. Her family lives in the Dallas area and they'd frequented First Monday many times. I was so excited when my son and new daughter-in-law, Stephanie, suggested we go there Saturday morning before the reception that night.

Stephanie's family has been to Canton many times and each time they go they have a tradition of going to two stores in Canton before heading over to First Monday. The first store we went to is called LaurieAnna's Vintage Home.   If you appreciate vintage inspired farmhouse living you will fall in love with LaurieAnna's. Beautiful linens in shades of cream and white greet you as you enter.


The store provides options in furniture, lighting, home accents, linens, area rugs, clothing, ceramics and more. Upon arrival home I was happy to learn that LaurieAnna's has an online store as well!
LaurieAnna's Vintage Home
1457 N. Trade Days Blvd.
Canton, TX




The next store we went to -- which happened to be my favorite spot the whole day -- was Paul Michael Company. I fell in love with the furniture in this store. If I could have found a way to stuff these stools in my suitcase, they'd be sitting in my kitchen right now!


Paul Michael sells both home decor and furniture. Their furniture is made in the USA and some of it looks to be made from recycled materials. The furniture is unique, trendy, beautifully made and comfortable! I was particularly taken by the items that mixed metal and wood -- like this Walnut/Galvanized Island. Gorgeous!


 Paul Michael Company
2100 N. Trade Days Blvd.
Canton, TX
Paul Michael also has a home decor building with beautiful accents and useful kitchen and dining supplies. I ended up buying some pretty and {very} reasonably priced serving dishes for the newlyweds in this section of the store!


Next we moved onto First Monday Trade Days and a crowd of thousands...


I'll have to admit it was sensory overload for me. Thousands of stalls of crafts and flea market items. I'm told that it helps to come back time and time again to get a lay of the land and return to specific vendors that strike your fancy. I'd be willing to do just that to feel more comfortable -- over and over and over again.


Somehow the only thing we managed to buy at First Monday was a funnel cake. It was my second ever funnel cake, and it lived up to the memory I had of my first a few years ago. Yes, there is every conceivable fried food at First Monday.


This was such a fun day. The next time I think of coming to Canton for First Monday I'm driving my car from Colorado to Texas {instead of flying}. That way I can purchase to my hearts content and bring home some of the wonderful items I would be sure to find!