Friday, September 13, 2013

Flooding...


Things have been quiet on my blog this week. There's a good reason for that. We live in Boulder County in Colorado and our hometown has been experiencing scenes like this the last few days...




They are calling this the "500 Year Flood" because it is unprecedented. Neighborhoods in my hometown have been evacuated and are under water. A little town just west of us, Lyons, is totally surrounded by water. Fortunately, the Colorado National Guard was called in with trucks that could traverse the river of water and are evacuating people, but there are many further up the mountain that are stranded. Estes Park has a torrential river running through the main street of town. So incredibly sad. These are scenes from our hometown of Longmont...









Our town has been cut in half with the flooding of the St. Vrain river -- which typically is more like a creek. There have been no avenues open from the north end of town to the south end. A river is running through the town, as illustrated in the photo below.




Thousands are without power and water supplies to surrounding towns have been compromised and cut off. Below is a fire engine that was sent to rescue two stranded motorists that had bypassed a barricade at 1:30 a.m. In the process of rescuing the stranded persons, the water continued to rise and overcame the engine. Fortunately, the crew made it out safely as did the rescued parties, but there lies a firetruck that is desperately needed right now because two people acted impulsively.

{All above photographs courtesy: Times Call}

Our home is fine -- as is my husband's office. So far we've weathered the storm, but I feel so bad for those whose home or business has been flooded. I know there will be plenty of opportunity to serve my community in the next couple of weeks, so blogging is going to take a back seat. Here's a photo of a subdivision that is about two miles from our home...

{Source: Payton Peterson}

Please pray for those whose lives and property are in harms way and the rest of us that are just trying to tread water until the sun starts to shine and rain isn't in the forecast. Thank you.

18 comments:

ga447 said...

My heart goes out to you, last year we were flooded in IA and NE and so much destruction. Colorado has had it share with fire and water. I will keep you in my prayers.

Jennifer said...

oh my goodness, thought and prayers headed your way. We experienced a portion of this last year with Hurricane Sandy..

Salmagundi said...

We're praying for our Colorado neighbors to the north. So far, here in Southern Colorado we have had only minor flooding. Take care. Sally

Julie said...

Oh Suzanne, this is so awful. We are definitely praying for Colorado.

margaret said...

such devastation it is so sad to see your photos. Those poor people who have been flooded, so much lost, it is the personal things like photos etc that cannot be replaced. Here in the UK we are getting far more floods than ever before, fortunately I do not live in an area that suffers but my heart and prayers go out to all those effected. I pray trhe water subsides quickly and people can start rebuilding their lives.

Suzanne said...

Thank you all for your sweet comments. They mean a lot to us.

Vicky said...

I just heard about this on the news and I live in Brisbane Australia. Take care.

Tins and Treasures said...

Good Morning, Suzanne,
I have been thinking about you every day this week, as we watch the news videos of the devastating floods in your area of Colorado. I am relieved to find that you and hubby are OK, and will keep your community in my thoughts and prayers.

Take care, ~Natalie

Fran Kingston Dill said...

My sister lives in Boulder, it has been a scary few days.
Our prayers are to you and all families in the area.

daisy said...

Prayers to all of those affected. I hope you are able to help those less fortunate. God's speed...

DeeDee said...

I lived in Colorado for 4 years and dispatch trains thru there... my thoughts and prayers to all affected.. so glad you are still doing ok... hugs.. pass them out for us..

Noela said...

So sorry to see the damage caused by flooding to your lovely state. Glad you are safe. Hopefully the weather will clear soon. hugs......

AnnieOf Blue Gables said...

We're heading there to help my mom with the aftermath. What a terrible trial for all those involved.

Dana said...

Hi Suzanne, it's Dana, the gal you did the pattern give away for. We've been watching all this on the news and felt so badly for everyone out there in CO. I was even more sad to hear how close it is to you guys. I'm glad your home was spared. How wonderful that you have been able to help others. CO will be in our thoughts and prayers. Dana

Pamela Rosenberg said...

My heart goes out to you and your community. I lived through this in 2008 when a 500 year flood hit Cedar Rapids Iowa. The recovery is long and slow. I documented it on my blog several times for the first three years. We are even now not completely whole but there were a lot of incredible stories of kindness and generosity and spirits that couldn't be broken. The same will be true for you in Colorado and you will have a renewed faith in the human race. Hugs and prayers.
pam @ BeColorful

Gail Wilson said...

ohh, I have had everyone in my thoughts and prayers after seeing all the devastation on the news. It's unbelievable.
I'm glad you're okay, and willing to help those who truly need the help.
thinking of you all!
gail

Heidi said...

Hi Suzanne.

Thank you for taking some time to share pictures so we can pray. Thank you also for your servants heart in helping others whose property was damaged.

I live in the panhandle of Florida. In July and August we received over 60 inches of rain. Our home wasn't flooded, but our road is still out going North due to the culverts being washed out.

My prayers will be with the people of Colorado who are experiencing the flooding and those who come in to help.

Again thanks for taking time to help those who have experienced loss and damage.

Heidi

Julie said...

I've been so worried about you guys. Goodness. Just terrible, Suzanne. I am so sorry this had to happen. So sorry.