Monday, September 16, 2013

Colorado Flood {continued}...


Yesterday was the hardest day yet for me. It rained all night on Saturday night and most of the day on Sunday. Buckets of rain. Evacuees from areas of Longmont that had seen so much flooding and had finally been let back into their homes on Friday and Saturday were asked to evacuate again as waters rose again to flood levels in their areas. In the early afternoon an area that surrounds a beautiful lake a couple blocks from our home was asked to evacuate. We were told that we weren't in the framework of those needing to leave, but to be ready at a moments notice. We threw some necessities in a suitcase and piled our 72 hour emergency kits and a emergency medical kit into the back of our car -- along with a couple cases of water. Then we made room for our kitty. I realized at that time that we didn't have any cat food in our 72 hour kit. She might not have liked the protein bars I had in there, but she would been fine with the canned tuna.


The evacuation of homes a couple of blocks away was rescinded about an hour later when upstream mitigation efforts diverted the water that was an imminent threat. By then we had hauled most of the furniture up from our basement to our main floor. I'm ok with that. I'd rather be safe than sorry.

It rained throughout the night, but isn't raining at the moment. Our yard looks like the Garden of Eden -- so lush and beautiful. It's hard to believe that something that can have such a positive effect, can also be deadly and destructive.

The rain is supposed to stop today. It's time to roll up our sleeves and go to work. I think I'm going to have to eat about 10 energy bars first and take a handful of vitamins.

My thanks to those who have taken a minute to comment on my posts the last couple of days. You have no idea how much your comments and kind words have meant to me.

14 comments:

Salmagundi said...

Still praying for our Northern Colorado neighbors. It's raining in So. Colo., but no major flooding in our town - we had our scare with the Royal Gorge fire earlier this summer. Take care, Sally

Sandy said...

Sending prayers your way :)

Ana Lopes said...

Hi Suzanne, I was very impressed with the news on TV, I'm so sorry!Hope everything be OK very, very soon!
Colorado people are on my prayers!
Hugs and love from Portugal,

Ana Love Craft
www.lovecraft2012.blogspot.com

Jboo said...

Keeping all of you in my prayers. So sorry for the flooding and devastation.

Sharlyn said...

Wow, so amazing and scary all at the same time. So glad you are safe and are able to help those who need the help.

Reno said...

You definitely have my sympathy for this rough time you and your neighbors are going through. The pictures are just astounding- I can't even imagine. Best wishes to you.

Twiglet said...

Bless you - what a worrying time - thinking of you. x Jo

Gail Wilson said...

Good luck Suzanne--but remember to take care of yourself. If you have an achy back like I do, therma-care back wraps can be a lifesaver! They warm up those tired achy muscles.

Still thinking of everyone and praying it stops raining.

gail

Dana White said...

I know those you are helping are grateful. My "flood experience" is related to the Teton Dam breaking many, many years ago. The distinctive smell still lingers in many basements.

Bless you and your neighbors. Our prayers are with you.

barbara woods said...

Praying

algodão lilás said...

Sou do Brasil e tenho acompanhado seu blog. Sinto muito pelo ocorrido. Aqui já sofremos muitas tragédias piores do que esta. Peço ao criador que te dê força, olhe para cima, respire fundo e agradeça por não ter sido muito pior. Muita luz, amor e paz. Fico torcendo daqui do Brasil.
Jacqueline - Algodão Lilás.

margaret said...

this rain is causing so much heartache as well as being so destructive, surely it must stop soon and people can start to sort out their lives, such a major problem as they will have lost so many things and so mush damage to their homes my heart goes out to you all at this time

Gemini Jen NZ said...

Have seen the devastation on the news over here in New Zealand; we are familiar with our share of disasters over here, so my thoughts and best wishes are with you...remember there is always someone who is worse off, all the best to you all!

deshacrafts said...

I just came across your blog from a Pinterest picture. My thoughts are with all of you in Colorado. I hope that you are doing well and will continue to recover. Thank you also for a wonderful and inspiring blog!