Wednesday, September 18, 2013

Flood Recovery...

What a day. I don't think I could have imagined just how bad the flooding had been in certain neighborhoods in our town if I hadn't seen it myself. I'm still shaking my head. The rushing flood waters were so strong that it washed away the earth beneath these railroad tracks.


And, yes, that's an army vehicle laying on its side. It was used to evacuate people, but was carried downstream and turned on its side.


Today my husband bought some high power pumps, and I went door to door in one of the hardest hit neighborhoods asking if they would like our help to pump water out of their basement. Each time it took only minutes to find someone who took me up on my offer. We helped two families. One had water at least four feet up their basement walls. Each pump shot out 150 gallons of water a minute and it took 2.5 hours to empty their basement. You do the math. {That's a lot of water.} You can see how high the water level reached from this photo of their garage...


I know I'm a little weird about this, but I found it fascinating how much water came out of the pumps...


Our son flew in from California just to help with the recovery efforts. He's such an amazing young man. I'm so grateful for his giving nature. We didn't make an impact on a lot of people as we worked, but we did make a huge impact on a few. So gratifying.



These families have a long way to go, but I was so struck by their indomitable spirit. It was inspiring the way these families -- so affected by this flood -- were moving along with determined attitudes and smiles on their faces.