Monday, August 27, 2012

Zucchini Bread & Applesauce ...


I'm finally finished with the painting that kept me busy these last two weeks, and I've moved on to using some of the produce that our garden is dishing out...


Ahhh, zucchini -- the one plant you can invariably count on to produce copious amounts of squash day in and day out. We haven't reached "our limit," but we're getting close. Last week I made a double recipe of Paula Dean's Chocolate Chip Zucchini Bread. This recipe {at least in my oven} produces a crispy "crust" with a moist, delicious center -- so yummy. And, as we all know, a recipe can only be improved with the addition of chocolate.



I've also had a bumper crop of Granny Smith apples to deal with this year...


Last Friday I got up early and made 14 jars of applesauce. Years ago when I canned applesauce I used quart jars to feed our large family. With only my husband and me living at home these days, I use 8 oz. jam or jelly jars. This is the perfect serving size for my husband and me. Instead of opening a large jar, refrigerating most of it, and having it petrify in the fridge, we open the small jar and use it up in one sitting. If you're not into canning, just ladle the applesauce into freezer containers and freeze it. It lasts beautifully up to a year in the freezer!


Applesauce is so easy to make, and there are a myriad of recipes out there. I just cook my apples in apple juice {or water}, and add a little brown and granulated sugar {I go really easy on the sugar}, lemon juice, salt, and cinnamon to taste. It's as simple as that. Then I pour it into jars, and process it in a water bath canner for about 15 minutes {less if you're closer to sea level}.

The result is delicious...


I derive a good deal of satisfaction from growing something, processing it, and enjoying it throughout the year. There's nothing better than opening a jar of homemade applesauce in mid January and being reminded of the taste of summer.