Wednesday, June 13, 2012

Thrifting, Repurposing, and Refinishing...


When I was a teenager, if anyone would have told me I would be excited about a trip to Goodwill, I would have asked to be committed right then and there. Things change. A couple of months ago a Goodwill store opened in our town. To say I was thrilled was an understatement. You see, I'd had experience with Goodwill before. That's where I bought this vixen for $14.99...



Of course, that picture is after I refinished her. She looked like this when I bought her, but I tried not to blame her {too much} for going far too long without a good facial...


Anyway, I used to have to travel to a neighboring town to see what Goodwill had to offer, but now there's one right across town. Yesterday I braved the smoke-filled air to see if the store had any bargains. I've been looking to add to our toy supply {for the grands} for awhile. I found just what I was looking for in this little rocking horse...



Did you see how much it cost???  
$5.99

I've wanted a wooden doll cradle that I could spruce up for a long time now. I've been biding my time waiting for just the right one, and yesterday I found her...


I love the curved detail on the head of the crib -- so cute...



That's right -- it was only $3.99. A steal. That's why I love Goodwill. Plus I got a 15% discount {-$1.50} because I've reached the ripe old age of 55. How amazing is that? Grand total at the checkout counter: $9.17! Score. I can't wait to refinish these items to make them "ours." I also have plans on sewing some sweet baby-doll bedding for the cradle. I'm one happy grandma!

7 comments:

Debby said...

Wow!!! What super deals!!! The grands will love them both

Gayle said...

I recently read in the newspaper that the very first Goodwill store in Utah will be opening in SLC soon. We've always had good D.I.s, but the more the merrier when it comes to thrift stores! You found some great treasures!

pasqueflower said...

Such a deal!!! My daughter is a gifted thrifter. Wish she lived closer. Thrifting with her is an adventure.

Anxious to see the doll quilts.

Renee said...

I love Goodwill too! Your finds are pretty amazing, and btw, your grass is too. I have total grass envy right now!

gail@My Repurposed Life said...

Suzanne--those prices are fabulous! love that vanity.
Our goodwills are awful. they never have sales, and the prices are outrageous.
I recently turned 55 too. Jamie, said "hey mom, you can order from the senior menu now instead of the kids menu" hahahah

gail

**Holly** said...

WOW!

My Goodwill stores never have stuff like that! I'm not afraid of sanding and repainting furniture, but they don't even have anything with potential!

Might have to venture a little further, try some different areas.

Love your blog by the way!

Jillian said...

What a steal! I can already tell you one of your grandchildren is going to love that wooden horse!