Wednesday, June 06, 2012

Pulled-Pork Sandwiches {Carolina Style}

Last weekend we had some friends over for a "BBQ." Usually in the summer we fire up the grill and throw on our favorite Blue Cheese Burgers, steak or salmon, but this time I wanted everything prepared before the company arrived, so I opted to make some Pulled-Pork Sandwiches that could be prepared ahead of time.

I tweaked a recipe for Carolina Pulled-Pork Sandwiches from Family Circle Magazine for the event. It was some of the best pulled-pork I've ever tasted. I love the tangy vinegar flavor in "Carolina" BBQ sauces, so this recipe was right up my alley. I also made the Coleslaw recipe for a topper on the pulled-pork sandwiches and it was fabulous! This recipe is a crowd-pleaser and feeds a boatload of people. Below is the recipe with the changes that I made. {Photo source:}

  Carolina Pulled Pork 
with Coleslaw Topper

1 boneless pork shoulder roast, trimmed (about
3 1/2 pounds)
1 teaspoon seasoned salt
1 teaspoon paprika
2 tablespoons canola oil
8 - 12 seedless sandwich buns

Carolina BBQ Sauce
1 tablespoon canola oil
1 small onion, diced
1 cup vinegar
3/4 cup ketchup
1/3 cup packed light-brown sugar
2 tablespoons spicy brown mustard
1 tsp. liquid smoke
1 tablespoon Worcestershire Sauce

Easy Coleslaw
3/4 cup light mayo
3 tablespoons cider vinegar
1 tablespoon sugar
1/4 teaspoon celery salt
1/4 teaspoon black pepper
1 bag (16 oz.) shredded coleslaw mix

1.) Pork. Cut roast in about 6 large chunks. Rub pork all over with seasoned salt and paprika. Heat oil in a large nonstick skillet over medium-high heat. Brown pork on all sides.

2.) Carolina BBQ Sauce. Heat oil in a large saucepan over medium heat. Add onion and cook 5 minutes. Stir in vinegar, ketchup, brown sugar, mustard, liquid smoke and Worcestershire Sauce simmering till sugar dissolves.

3.) Transfer pork to slow cooker; add Carolina BBQ Sauce. Cover and cook on HIGH for 6 hours or LOW for 8 hours.

4.) Coleslaw. In medium bowl, whisk together the mayo, vinegar, celery salt and pepper. Stir in coleslaw mix and refrigerate until serving.

5.) Half an hour to an hour before guests arrive: Remove fully cooked pork from slow cooker. With 2 forks shred meat, discarding fat and bones. Put pork into an oven-proof pan and smother in BBQ sauce from slow cooker. Cover with aluminum foil. Place in a 300 degree oven until ready to serve. (Makes 8 - 16 servings depending on bun size.) Enjoy!


Sandy said...

This looks so yummy Suzanne.. thanks so much for sharing the recipe. I can't wait to give it a try :)

Jillian said...

yummy! I'll have to cook this for our next BBQ!

Linda Southworth said...

How I would like to have that BBQ sandwich right now! I am a southern girl and grew up knowing BBQ was always in my near future. My dad knew how to cook anything that sat still long enough to skewer on the grill. And as for me I love pulled pork with the slaw. Wouldn't have it any other way. You just brought back a flood of good food and family memories. Thanks Suzanne!

Debby said...

We love pulled pork, thanks for this gonna give it a try