Monday, February 27, 2012

Stenciled curtains...

My husband was out of town last week, which always puts me in "project mode." It's a productive way to pass the time when the hubs is not around to be the preferred distraction.

A couple of months ago I stenciled our bedroom walls with a gorgeous stencil from Cutting Edge Stencils. I loved the tone on tone of that stencil on our bedroom walls. Last week I decided to use the same stencil in a different way to create some stenciled curtains in our kitchen and nook. As you can tell from the pictures below I have a blue and white kitchen. Along the soffit above my cabinets I have a collection of blue and white plates that loved ones have given me or I've collected. The plates hail from places like Italy, China, Boston, Williamsburg, antique stores and Pier 1 Imports. It's an eclectic bunch that I love -- mostly because of the story behind each plate. Here's a shot of 17 of the 38 blue and white plates that surround our kitchen...


A few years ago I bought some blue and white fabric and made valences {below} to frame the kitchen and nook windows and to compliment the blue and white theme of the rooms. When all was said and done I didn't like the valances. At. All. But, money had been spent so I put up with them for a few years. When my husband skedaddled to Italy to eat ravioli {and work} and left me home, I decided it was high time for a change.


Originally I went to local stores to buy the curtains, but couldn't find anything I loved. Eventually, however, I came upon this tablecloth...


and this kitchen towel...


I snatched them up and knew I'd come upon my inspiration. I thought of using these two items to make the curtains, but instead I decided to use my previously used stencil and some muslin fabric. For less than $15 {that includes fabric, paint and thread!} I made all the curtains for the two windows in my kitchen and the two windows in my nook...




I took down the prehistoric metal blinds that were behind all the valences and I snatched the valences off the walls pronto-like. It felt so good. Then I lowered all the hardware and made the curtains cover the bottom portions of the windows to provide complete privacy, but allow the sun to shine through! I love being able to see the blue sky and the tree tops! If I choose I can part the curtains to see into my backyard.


I love the simple nature of these curtains. I only used the top portion of the stencil that I used for my bedroom on the bottom part of these curtains. I wasn't necessarily looking for a less-expensive option when I decided to find some new curtains. I just wanted something that I loved. It's an added bonus when you get both!


Linked to: 
Handmade Tuesdays @ Ladybug Blessings; Sew Cute Tuesday @ Creative Itch;


10 comments:

Tracey Yasi said...

Your new curtains look perfect! Great job ! These poor husbands of ours never know what waits for them when they get home, do they?

Renee said...

Awesome job Suzanne! They're beautiful... so fresh and clean looking, perfect for your lovely kitchen.

Frazzled Mom of Five said...

Love the blue color combo! New Follower too!
~Jen @ frazzled five

p.s.phyllis sews said...

I always thought that was the best way to surprise a husband! Showing off the project(s) I completed while he was away! Congrats on the curtains. Blue and white is so fresh and clean for a kitchen!

Missy Shay said...

I like your sink in the corner, I've never seen that before. I'll be building a house this fall and was wondering how you like the sink that way? I've learned that sometimes what looks great, is not always practical, so thought I would ask.
Thanks,
missysaprons@yahoo.com

Suzanne said...

Missy - Corner sinks are fabulous!!! They always have windows above them, so there's a lot of light surrounding them which is nice.

annemarie said...

Love the curtains - so refreshing!

Patti said...

Brilliant Suzanne! Love the fantastic curtains.

Beth Huntington said...

LOVE, LOVE, LOVE the curtains!!!! They have an Italian feel to them. This might be a project for me to try!

Brandi said...

Your curtains are beautiful! I love your sunny windows too!