Monday, February 13, 2012

My "Snap Trap" Wallet for Kids...


I've been busy experimenting lately, and my "Snap Trap" wallet for kids is the result of those endeavors. This wallet has a "snap" compartment with a metal measuring tape closure and a "trap" pocket with a zippered closure. 


I know it's a little premature to be thinking about Easter gifts, but I have a lot of grandkiddos so I need to start early! Our grandchildren range in age from 6 months to 8 years so different, age-appropriate gifts are needed. These wallets will suffice for the kids between 2 and 8 years! I have something else in mind for our toddler and babies!


I've wanted to make a child's wallet for a long time. After creating the pattern for my Snappy Bag I decided to revise that pattern and make it into a wallet with a front pocket that would hold money. Although it looks similar to my Snappy Bag, the pattern had to be changed dramatically. My Snappy Bag is great for cards, makeup or paper products, but the measuring tape closure is not secure enough for coins, so I had to devise a way to add a pocket with a zipper closure.


I love the fact that this little wallet has plenty of room for moola...


and plenty of room for treasures...


Now all I have to do is think of a few treasures to put inside the compartments. I think it will be something shiny and crisp in the zippered compartment and something playful in the snap compartment! ;o)

Let me know in a comment below if the availability of this pattern would interest you...I need a little feedback. ;o)


Linked to:
Made by You Monday @ Skip to My Lou; Party Time @ Northern Cottage: Get Your Craft On @ Today's Creative Blog; Handmade Tuesdays @ Ladybug Blessings; Sew Cute Tuesday @ Creative Itch; Show Me What You Got @ Not Just a Housewife; The Inspiration Board @ Homework; Ta-Da Tuesday @ Mommy by Day Crafter by Night; Show & Tell @ Blue Cricket Design; Whatever Goes Wednesday @ Someday Crafts; DIY Under 5 @  A Little Tipsy;


35 comments:

Holly said...

I love this! I bought a measuring tape to make your other bags, and haven't had time yet. But I like this version even better! Will you be sharing the instructions?

Brianna Asaro said...

These are fantastic. Love the idea, and TOTALLY love the patterns!

Jan said...

I love this! (will they be in your Etsy shop?-- they should!)

As always, super fun and creative! Love it!

Suzanne said...

I think I will put some of these in my Etsy store. Still trying to decide if I will share or sell the pattern.;o)

Kim said...

I would love to have the pattern! I have two little ones who would love a snap trap wallet!

Karen said...

I love these! Yes, would love a pattern. Thanks.

gail said...

Ohhh my! adorable! :)

love these so much. Wish I had a little one, I'd buy one from ya!
Mine (the one I can't stop opening and shutting) is small (like a coin purse)
gail

kr said...

I love your little bag and would love to have a pattern. Sooo cute! Your grandkids are so fortunate to have a sewing gramma!

the Miles Family said...

I would love to have this pattern. I wish I had some of these made up for gifts for Valentine's Day.

Sister Walker said...

I would love a pattern or tutorial on this! What a great little gift idea!

Chris said...

Suzanne, I LOVE it. What a clever idea..and I have a few granddaughters who would also love one..so.... YES I would LOVE to have the pattern. :) Thanks!! (Did I say "love" enough??! LOL )

pasqueflower said...

What a cute variation.

Carla Wade said...

super cute! I just made the snappy bag last week, I would love to have the pattern to try this one out as well! Thanks for all you share!

Jenny said...

Oh my goodness, these are adorable. I love your fabric choices. I made your snappy bag and really enjoyed it. Thanks for sharing all your creativity!

Kathie said...

Definitely would like the pattern!

Nancy said...

I'd love the pattern -- and maybe a little bit of your talent.

The White Silk Purse (Dana) said...

Yes, please. I've made several snap bags and would love this too. :) Many thanks.

Patti said...

These are really wonderful and a pattern would be much appreciated!

Belinda said...

Would love this as a pattern!

Cindy said...

yes please, i would love to give this a go for my boys. Please share.

Jillian said...

This snap trap is so creative! The zipper is brilliant! The grandkids are going to love this!

Gerri said...

What a wonderful idea. The extra pocket is a great addition.

OnePerfectDay said...

Cute!
I love the fabrics too!

Staci said...

I love this! I'd love the pattern. If you're looking for ideas for something shiny - my boys always love getting gold dollar coins from their grandpa. He slips them in surprising places, and they always know he loves him when they are found...

Tracey said...

These look fabulous in all the different fabrics :)

Q @ JAQS said...

I really like this pouches - you did a fantastic job :)

Love for you to share it at my linky party here if you haven't already :)
http://www.jaqsstudio.com/2012/02/made-by-me-18-linky-party-and-features.html

Nana said...

As always I love the patterns you come out with! And I love this one. I think you've given me a great idea for my grandkids. Yes, I would love the pattern! And I love your fabric choices!

Laurel @ Ducks in a Row said...

My kiddos would love these - especially if I used super cute fabric like you did!

mom2amanda said...

I would so love the pattern...great design.

Sky said...

Oh my adorable! I recently made my little guys some wallets with pockets, but figured out all too quick that they were very practical! These one are really awesome- would also love a pattern :) And maybe the gold chocolate coins would work for the treasure pocket too? :)Thanks for sharing!

lkp said...

would buy the pattern in a heartbeat!

SusieQTpies said...

Whoa! Now THAT is an awesome Mommy Solution! I would LOVE for you to come share this in my Mommy Club link up http://www.crystalandcomp.com/2012/02/the-mommy-club-share-your-resources-and-solutions-31/

Thanks, Crystal

Kirks Korner said...

I am very interesred

Sher said...

Heck yah I'm interested! Of all the snap bags I've seen out there, yours is by far the cutest and is on my project list right now as I type. I've already stolen two of hubby's tape measures! He won't care, he has a bunch of them. Infact, he probably won't even notice.

redsthreads said...

Really cute wallet! Please make the pattern available, I would like to make them for my grandkids too!