Monday, January 09, 2012

Bunting Kindle Case...


This Christmas my 8-year-old granddaughter received a special gift. She is a voracious reader, so her parents presented her with a Kindle for Christmas. I love that they encouraged her love of reading with that gift. While they were visiting her parents asked me if I might make a case for her Kindle, so a couple days ago I got busy...


I'm not sure I'm ever going to tire of the banner craze. There's something so fun and whimsical about banners, and I thought they would look perfect on a Kindle case for our Zoey.


Before they left her parents measured Zoey's Kindle because not all Kindle's are created equal. It turns out hers is a little more demure than mine with measurements of -- 4 3/4" x 6 3/4". I decided to make the finished case 6" x 8", so I cut two pieces of muslin 7" x 9" for the outside of the case and two pieces of complimentary cotton fabric 7" x 9" for the lining. I also cut out two 7" x 9" pieces of fusible fleece and secured them to the muslin. A 12-inch zipper is also required. I used 1/2" seams.


I used the same approach that I illustrated in my "Bunting Cosmetic Bag" tutorial to string the bunting across the front of the case...

 
Then I used the same technique to sew the bag together that Anna {from "Noodlehead"} showed us in her tutorial of her Lil Cutie Pouch...


I hope Zoey likes her case and that her Kindle continues to feed her addiction to reading!



Linked to:
Make-It-Yourself Monday @ An Original Belle
Head to Head Showdown @ I Can't Stop Crafting
Sunday Sisters Link Party @ Sisters of the Wild West
Show & Tell @ Be Different Act Normal
Friday Fav @ Naptime Crafter
Made Monday @ Toastie Studio
Friday Flair @ Whipperberry
Free for All @ Sassy Sites
Hookin' Up @ House of Hepworths
Strut Your Stuff @ Somewhat Simple
Sew Cute Tuesday @ Creative Itch
Show Off Your Stuff @ Fireflies & Jellybeans
DIY Under $5 @ A Little Tipsy
Party Time Tuesday @ Northern Cottage
Show & Tell @ Blue Cricket Design
Handmade Tuesdays @ Ladybug Blessings
Ta-Da Tuesday @ Mommy by Day; Crafter by Night
The Inspiration Board @ Homework
Show Me What You Got @ Not Just a Housewife
Get Your Craft On @ Today's Creative Blog
Made by You Monday @ Skip to my Lou
Make it Monday @ Brassy Apple
Made with Love Link Party @ Sew Chatty
Craft-O-Maniac Link Party

22 comments:

gail said...

awwww suzanne! Zoey's kindle case is sooo cute! :)
Much better than those store bought ones. Made with love is so much better!
have a great week,
gail

Jan said...

The Kindle case is adorable. You are so creative. Love your blog.

Jillian said...

She will love that! Makes me want to get a kindle just for that case! ;)

Chris said...

SO cute! The linen fabric is a perfect background for your bunting! Nice job!! :)

Elizabeth said...

ADORABLE!!! You did such a great job! She will love it! I'll be featuring you on my FB page this week. Probably tomorrow. Thanks for linking up!

Megan said...

love it!

thanks for linking up to Make it Monday! I'll be sharing your link on the Brassy Apple FB page! :)

Megan said...

just got you followed on pinterest too! :)

pasqueflower said...

Great Kindle case. I'm hoping to spend my Christmas Amazon gift cards on a Kindle Fire. This would be perfect. Love the little banner!

Sharon Pernes said...

How pretty!

Liberty said...

I LOVE the bunting idea on the kindle case. The fabrics and stitching detail are amazing.

Thanks for sharing,
Liberty

Cameron Meerdink said...

I heart bunting in EVERY USE POSSIBLE - thanks for the post. I came over from Today's Creative blog :)

Molly said...

Just saw this via Today's Creative Blog Facebook page, and I'm cutting fabrics now! :) Great project, and I love your blog!

Jane said...

These are Adorable...love them!!

Jane
Finding Fabulous

Crafty Mischief said...

Beautiful! My sister got a Kindle for Christmas also, she would love this! Thanks for the inspiration!

Stephanie @ Toastie Studio said...

Oh that is such a lovely amazing design idea! I don't have a kindle but it would make a awesome laptop sleeve too!
Feel free to submit this to my link party, would love to share it with more people!
http://toastiestudio.blogspot.com/2012/01/made-monday.html

Yvette @ AquaSeventy6 said...

This is absolutely GORGEOUS!!

Gail said...

Much nicer than the cosmetic bag I use for my iPad

Shirley Hudson- Hudson's Holidays said...

Banners and buntings are so pretty...and you can't help but smile when you see them. Your design is SO CUTE! I don't have a kindle or nook....but your design makes me want to get one!
Shirley

Jen said...

Oh goodness, this is so freaking adorable! I'd be thrilled if you'd come and share this at the Head to Head Showdown, going on right now at www.icantstopcrafting.blogspot.com ~Jen

Elle and Lou said...

I am a bunting addict and it works so beatifully on your Kidle case. What a lovely gift.
Lou

{northern cottage} said...

mmm love this case!

fyi...just featured your great post this week!

http://northerncottage.blogspot.com/2012/01/northern-cottage-party-recap-2.html

C'mon back tomorrow for the next NORTHERN COTTAGE PARTY TIME TUESDAY!

xoxo

www.northerncottage.blogspot.com

The Southern Product Queen said...

Such a cute idea!!! I'm having a linky party, and would love it if you joined! Here is the link! http://www.thesouthernproductqueen.com/one-stop-shoppe-linky-party-3 Thanks for sharing!