Wednesday, January 25, 2012

Birthday Calendar...


A couple of weeks ago I was on the phone with one of my daughters. We were halfway through a delightful conversation, when she casually mentioned. "It's my birthday today."

 {photo courtesy of Better Homes & Gardens}

I sat stunned. It was true. I had {in my defense} "temporarily" forgotten that is was indeed her birthday that day. I felt awful. I felt despicable. I felt like a horrible mother. Earlier that week I had mailed a card and was fully aware that her birthday was imminent, but it was true when it came down to the day, I choked. At that moment a thousand pitiful excuses started streaming out of my mouth. As I delivered a diatribe of pathetic apologies, she chuckled on the other end of the phone. After I calmed down, she said, "This isn't the first time. You forgot last year too." As much as it pains me to say this -- being her mother and all -- sometimes she lies exaggerates. ;o) {The other day she told me she rarely "reads" blogs... she just looks at the pictures, so I'm pretty sure I can easily get away with that last sentence.} The next day I called her, wished her a "Happy Birthday", sang the birthday song, and told her I was 364 days early this time. I hope she remembers.

Here's the sad truth. It is getting harder and harder for me to remember birthdays and anniversaries in our family. With a total of 25 immediate family members {plus our parents and siblings} that's asking a lot of my puny, menopausal brain. I decided after that uncomfortable experience to do something about it -- especially after I found this adorable birthday calendar.

In preparation I went to Office Depot earlier this week and bought a very small Rolodex that will sit on the desk in my bedroom. It's only 3.5" x 4" x 4" -- so it's very compact. Then I got busy.


I decided to make my own dividers from scrapbook paper. I just punched two holes in the bottom of the paper with a round hole punch and snipped a little slit for the paper to slide into the Rolodex track ...


I decorated the front divider ...

 
Next I went to work on the monthly dividers. Nothing elaborate -- just some scrapbook paper, punches and stickers. These little cards are only 3 3/4" x 2", so there's not a lot of space to decorate...






Then I used the backs of the cards that were already provided in the Rolodex and typed up the names and birth dates of the individuals in our family. I included their birth year, so I could remember how old they are. This comes in handy with the grands because -- they grow up so fast!


I'm hoping this birthday calendar will help me remember those special days in our family each month. At the beginning of each month it will trigger my memory and having it on my desk will visually remind me of the important dates we celebrate! {Wish me luck...}


Cost:
Rolodex - $7
Scrapbooking paper and stickers - $5
Total: $12



Linked to:
Catch as Catch Can @ My Repurposed Life
Hookin' Up w/House of Hepworths
Transformation Thursday @ The Shabby Creek Cottage
Show Off Your Stuff Party @ Fireflies & Jellybeans
Wayward Weekend @ Wayward Girls Crafts
DIY Under $15 @ A Little Tipsy
Whatever Goes Wednesday @ Someday Crafts