Wednesday, January 25, 2012

Birthday Calendar...


A couple of weeks ago I was on the phone with one of my daughters. We were halfway through a delightful conversation, when she casually mentioned. "It's my birthday today."

 {photo courtesy of Better Homes & Gardens}

I sat stunned. It was true. I had {in my defense} "temporarily" forgotten that is was indeed her birthday that day. I felt awful. I felt despicable. I felt like a horrible mother. Earlier that week I had mailed a card and was fully aware that her birthday was imminent, but it was true when it came down to the day, I choked. At that moment a thousand pitiful excuses started streaming out of my mouth. As I delivered a diatribe of pathetic apologies, she chuckled on the other end of the phone. After I calmed down, she said, "This isn't the first time. You forgot last year too." As much as it pains me to say this -- being her mother and all -- sometimes she lies exaggerates. ;o) {The other day she told me she rarely "reads" blogs... she just looks at the pictures, so I'm pretty sure I can easily get away with that last sentence.} The next day I called her, wished her a "Happy Birthday", sang the birthday song, and told her I was 364 days early this time. I hope she remembers.

Here's the sad truth. It is getting harder and harder for me to remember birthdays and anniversaries in our family. With a total of 25 immediate family members {plus our parents and siblings} that's asking a lot of my puny, menopausal brain. I decided after that uncomfortable experience to do something about it -- especially after I found this adorable birthday calendar.

In preparation I went to Office Depot earlier this week and bought a very small Rolodex that will sit on the desk in my bedroom. It's only 3.5" x 4" x 4" -- so it's very compact. Then I got busy.


I decided to make my own dividers from scrapbook paper. I just punched two holes in the bottom of the paper with a round hole punch and snipped a little slit for the paper to slide into the Rolodex track ...


I decorated the front divider ...

 
Next I went to work on the monthly dividers. Nothing elaborate -- just some scrapbook paper, punches and stickers. These little cards are only 3 3/4" x 2", so there's not a lot of space to decorate...






Then I used the backs of the cards that were already provided in the Rolodex and typed up the names and birth dates of the individuals in our family. I included their birth year, so I could remember how old they are. This comes in handy with the grands because -- they grow up so fast!


I'm hoping this birthday calendar will help me remember those special days in our family each month. At the beginning of each month it will trigger my memory and having it on my desk will visually remind me of the important dates we celebrate! {Wish me luck...}


Cost:
Rolodex - $7
Scrapbooking paper and stickers - $5
Total: $12



Linked to:
Catch as Catch Can @ My Repurposed Life
Hookin' Up w/House of Hepworths
Transformation Thursday @ The Shabby Creek Cottage
Show Off Your Stuff Party @ Fireflies & Jellybeans
Wayward Weekend @ Wayward Girls Crafts
DIY Under $15 @ A Little Tipsy
Whatever Goes Wednesday @ Someday Crafts


35 comments:

Kelly (Seaux Southern) said...

Love It!! What a Fabulous Idea!!

Missy Shay said...

That is a great idea, and so cute! I think I'll make one and include their add. too so that I can go ahead and send a card also!

mom2amanda said...

So cute and a great idea...forgive yourself for being human ;-)

Julie said...

Brilliant and so cute!

Renee said...

My parents do it too, and I am the worst at forgetting people's birthdays! This is a really clever and cute idea.

Tina said...

Suzanne, this is not only fabulous, but gorgeous too!! Loving the little bunting:) Such a clever idea, I just love it ~ xx

Susi said...

Funny you mentioned this today. I just got off the phone with my best friend and she mentioned her Birthday was this week...I forgot and acted like I didn't notice her mentioning it. I think its time I get a calendar together too. I love yours and may do something similar. TFS Now I've just got to find a way to make it up to her.

Kathleen said...

Suzanne, that is an awesome system! I have a mac and use the calendar for birthdays and anniversaries. I usually set an alarm for 5 days before the date so I can get a card out. I will tell you that sometimes the alarm comes up and I still forget! I know my grandmother would buy all her cards for the month and write them and then write the date they needed to be mailed where the stamp goes. Thanks for sharing your birthday story. Believe me we have all been there. From one pre-menopausal friend to another - getting old is tough! :)

Jboo said...

What an adorable rolodex!! You are sure to remember every birthday! Your daughter sounds so sweet and funny! Everyone forgot my Dad's birthday one year -- he mentioned it a week later! Yikes!

Happy Wednesday!

janet

gail said...

wow! what a simple idea that you made look FABULOUS!
I love it, as I too find it hard to remember birthdays.
great job Suzanne!
gail

Erin said...

This is so darn cute! I can't wait to mkae this! Perfect!

{northern cottage} said...

this is darling! love love love your embellishing! mmmmm!

www.northerncottage.net

Just Jaime said...

Great idea!! It would make a great gift!

If you're interested, we're hosting our first ever link up party. Please stop by and link up! http://www.waywardgirlscrafts.com/2012/01/wayward-weekend-week-1.html

Bonnie said...

This is fabulous!!!:)


www.uncommondesignsonline.com

Cindy said...

What a great idea! I think we have all been guilty of missing an important day. Now I have 14 grandchildren I need something like this to keep me on track. Thanks, and have a great day.

Lisalulu said...

what a great idea.... and great minds must think alike, I bought a planner last night at staples and have a section devoted to Birthdays! what with kids and then in-laws and now grandkids etc... we need help1!! beautiful way you decorated it!!

Tisha said...

I stumbled across your blog yesterday and can't get enough. Your creativity is amazing, a true gift from God. I am getting ready to make a couple of Chick-sicles and crayon carry cases for 2 new big brothers. I also have a Rolodex for birthday reminders but haven't spent the time making mine beautiful. You have inspired me to add that to my list of projects. Thanks!

Annie-Savor This Moment said...

I love the rolodex! I have a new one that's been sitting around for a while, and I might need to do this!

Don't feel bad, my mama forgot to call me on my birthday in November. And she's almost perfect. ;)

carla.evans said...

I love, love, LOVE this!! As our family keeps growing, both at home and at church, this would come in so handy!

Another idea for it...I think it would be a nice small gift to a new bride. Let's face it, keeping up with birthdays and such usually falls to us ladies, whether it's with our family or his. A gift of this to a new bride in your family with your sides birthdays already filled out, and plenty of room for hers, would be a great gift!! It might be nice to include a note that it's not a hint that she is required to buy gifts, though...ha!!

carla.evans said...

Missy Shay, I love the idea of including the address too!!

Shannon said...

I hope thus helps ;). It's really cute.

Jenny @ An Apple for the Crafter said...

I love the idea. Last year was the first year that I got birthday cards to all my family members (parents, siblings, nieces, nephews, and grandparents) It was a chore! I already fell off the wagon this year. Don't feel too bad.

Mia said...

I have an alarm on my phone and still forget sometimes. UGH.

Chris said...

The Rolodex is a great idea! I have done the same thing and not remembered an important date...but I have chalked it up to being 52, menopausal and the ever expanding family that we have...is that enough good excuses?! LOL Take a little comfort in knowing you are NOT alone! :)

Between U & Me said...

I love anything having to do with a rolodex. It's weird, I know, but it's true! :D LOL!

Come link this up at the Crazy Cute party! It's going on right now! :D

www.betweenuandme.com

Jillian said...

Oh my, this is SO cute! What a great way to remember everyone's birthday!

Shorty said...

That is the most beautiful and creative roladex I've ever seen! I love it!

Doreen said...

Hi Suzanne
Just when I thought I had uncovered the best crafting blogs ever, I stumbled (well, actually linked over from Re-purposed Life) upon your wonderful inspiration!
First of all, I absolutely love your altered rolodex file (that's on my must-do list). Second, I enjoyed scrolling through your monthly plaques! I have a lot of catching up to do...
I'm your newest follower, and I invite you over for a visit to my blog at http://altered-artworks.blogspot.com
Hope to see you soon!

Debilou ~ Mississippi Mama said...

so so cute.. love the way you decorated it.

Katie said...

LOVE this idea and all the beautiful detail you've put into this simple birthday rolodex!

Terrie Mathison said...

I too made a simple chart for birthdays, not nearly as cute as yours! I will pin yours for when I want to redo mine. I also want to make sure I'm saying Happy Birthday more personally this year!

I love your blog. A new follower!

linda said...

This is so functional but even better it's so cute! Love it!

Jamie Gupton said...

I genuinely think that everything you make is just adorable! I'm "Pinning" this one, too!

gardenquilter said...

I've been contemplating the need for a birthday calendar for decades now, and sadly, this isn't an exaggeration. Your idea is perfect! It'll be much smaller than a calendar would have been and I love decorating things to make them pretty. Thank you very much indeed for sharing this terrific idea and tutorial with all of us. You know, these would make super gifts for other family members and friends too.

Helen said...

I just ran across this on pinterest and I'm so excited about it! I can do this for my mom and my father-in-law for Christmas! I love it! Thank you! blessings! ~H