Monday, November 28, 2011

Home Again...

My husband and I calculated the other day that we've been out of state at least once every month this year. In December we're staying planted and our family is coming to us! {So happy about that!} We just spent the last 10 days in northern California visiting my family. We had a wonderful Thanksgiving holiday and I even had the chance to craft a little bit. We helped "host" Thanksgiving this year for my family, so I wanted to try my hand at some centerpieces that I had pinned earlier in the month. I bought some inexpensive round glass vases at Michaels (tin cans would have worked too) and some long cinnamon sticks. I cut out a brown paper bag to go around the vase and hot glued the cinnamon sticks to the paper. They had a delightful, subtle fragrance. Then I bought some flowers and collected some greenery and gorgeous roses from my mother's garden. The result was really beautiful...


On Thanksgiving morning my husband, son and I went on a walk and collected beautiful fall leaves in a variety of colors, pods, and berries to put at the base of the vases with some greenery. 


Then I put my husband and son to work carving out little round circles in some miniature pumpkins we bought at the grocery store. We plopped a tea light in those and they were stunning when they were lit!


I left the "cinnamon vases" there, but I've decided I'll have to make some for Christmas at our house. I think they'll be beautiful with some Christmas greenery and white and red flowers!

I came back to an almost finished master bathroom redo. I"m so excited about that, however, I have a lot of painting to do in the next 36 hours, so I'll be AWOL for several more days. I'm so anxious to show you a fabulous redo of some master bedroom furniture we re-purposed for our computer room. {You heard me right.} I'll post that later this week! I'm also going to be using a damask stencil on our bedroom and bathroom walls -- stay tuned for that adventure!

5 comments:

diane said...

Your arrangements turned out fabulous. I'll have to remember the cinnamon sticks and paper bag idea...brilliant. I did the mini pumpkin tea light thing too. They worked well.

Terrie said...

Very pretty and pleasant arrangement. Surely fresh flowers will last for a few days. We here in Hong Kong do have to buy some in florist. I see yours are so pretty. If I have them I'd try eco printing or dyeing after blooming. The eucalyptus leaves make very bold and bring red/orange prints.

Jillian said...

gorgeous center piece. I'll be waiting patiently for the computer room furniture redo! can't wait to see that!

pasqueflower said...

Beautiful arrangement! You have an artist's eye.

gail said...

awww, everything is so beautiful!!!
good luck with the painting. It will be over before you know it. hahaha
gail